PDA

View Full Version : Chatty Customers

scrubs147
05-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Wondering how others handle this situation. It never fails, I'll be in the middle of a job and the customer insists on striking up a conversation and wants to talk about anything and everything.

I charge by the job after doing a thorough estimate, and maybe I should start charging by the hour in order to deter a customer from trying to distract me from my work.

Time is money, but I also don't want to seem rude. I am strictly mobile, so I am always on the customer's property. Curious as to what others who detail for a living handle this in a polite and friendly manner.

Evan.J
05-24-2014, 07:50 PM
headphones. Crank them up and go to town

VP Mark
05-24-2014, 07:53 PM
Shoot the breeze with them while you work. If you are running power tools politely state "Well I've enjoyed the chat but I've gotta get back to it". Never had anyone get upset about that.

GettingStarted
05-24-2014, 08:41 PM
That's interesting, I love talking when I'm detailing a vehicle. At this point its pretty much muscle memory running the show.

wdmaccord
05-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Don't let them in the back. I've got a buddy who details professionally and he has cameras in the back so people can watch on a TV in the waiting room if they want. Another detailer here in town I buy a few products from, he has the same set up.

GreatAvalon
05-24-2014, 11:50 PM
Don't let them in the back. I've got a buddy who details professionally and he has cameras in the back so people can watch on a TV in the waiting room if they want. Another detailer here in town I buy a few products from, he has the same set up.

OP said he is mobile.

wdmaccord
05-25-2014, 12:26 AM
OP said he is mobile.

Ugh...I've got to read more carefully.

FUNX650
05-25-2014, 12:43 AM
"So this is hell...There's no need for red-hot pokers.
Hell is—other people!" ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Bob

scrubs147
05-25-2014, 06:45 AM
Headphones have worked, but not always. I have actually had some customers walking towards me acknowledging music in my ears and I can see their lips moving while making eye contact.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a good conversation and in fact have had a customer bring out a couple of cold ones after the job is done and we'll sit for a couple of hours and chat. I almost all of my customers a pleasure to work for. Having a conversation while working is doable as long as I am at a stationary position, but as many of you know, you're moving around a lot – grabbing chemicals, rags, equipment and other stuff. It's easy to get wrapped up in a conversation and lose chain of thought.

Many customers stand in one spot as they seem to expect that you will engage in conversation with them. I've tried ignoring them, but I find this to be rude. The earphone thing works 25% of the time. I have actually said, “Well I've enjoyed the chat but I've gotta get back to it”, and several have simply ignored the gesture and continued to keep yap'n away.

It gets very frustrating as I look at a project and try to project the invested amount of time it should take me, and then the day is shot when the customer doesn't seem to respect my time. I have actually tried to figure in an hourly rate while doing an estimate... let's say this job will cost so much for this many hours. If I am here longer than expected than it will be an hourly rate.

HateSwirls
05-25-2014, 08:59 AM
"So this is hell...There's no need for red-hot pokers.
Hell is—other people!" ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Bob

Huh?

FUNX650
05-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Huh?
^^^ Back at ya...^^^

What part of [the OP (basically) saying]:
"leave me alone while I'm detailing"...
didn't you understand?

Bob

Paul A.
05-25-2014, 12:34 PM
I will entertain the occassional chatty customer for a little while especially if i'm at a point to take a break anyway. For 95% of them, once i get back on the car and machine thry get the hint. The more persistent ones still usually "get it" after a while and adjourn themselves.

I am always amicable, polite and respectful. Someone they entrust to work on their multi thousand dollar baby should be but the bottom line for me is i am doing a job and quite honestly want to finish as soon as possible too.

Basically what i'm saying is i endure a moderate amount of conversation however never let it keep me from completing what i'm doing or distract me into spending any more time than i am willing to spend.

My problem in the past was the chatty neighbor but they all know me by now and know when to approach and talk about last nights game and when not to.

GreatAvalon
05-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Ugh...I've got to read more carefully.
:laughing: No problem man :xyxthumbs:

Huh?
haha :laughing: