PDA

View Full Version : Repainting DD, how do I protect it?

William D.
05-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Hi all,

Hopefully in the next couple weeks, I'll be sending my 1994 Town Car into the body shop for a full strip down and repaint. The paint job is going to run nearly double what the car is worth, but it was my first car, and it has a lot of sentimental value to me, so I am opting to repaint it, vs. replace it.

I've also ordered all new OE exterior chrome, and NOS alloy wheels, which will go on once it's repainted.

That being said, the only "protection" I have is a carport, where the newest Town Car resides, so this one will be sitting "in the elements" all the time.

I like my Collinite 915, as it seems to last forever on the newest TC, but I also have some Liquid Glass I've used on the '94 since I've owned it.

My bottom line is, I'm basically spending $5500-ish on this car to "refresh" the entire exterior, and I want to protect it all as best I can. From the wheels, to the roof.

What products would be ideal for a DD that sits outside all the time (and is lovingly washed and cared for)?

For what it is worth, the car will be repainted in the factory dark metallic gray (Midnight Opal), with a medium opal (Gray) lower two tone. The lower paint is not clearcoated from the factory, and I don't think I'll get it cleared when it's repainted, as it will look odd being shiny, as opposed to more of a satin.

The reason I mention it, is I know some products work best on certain colors.

Belair
05-24-2014, 05:55 PM
915 hands down; liquid glass is dated. (edit: I was thinking of 476, the seemingly everlasting one, not 915. Sorry.) Once the paint has cured, will you be polishing it to get it the best it can be, then waxing? Couple of coats of 476 will take you into next spring I would think.

davidc
05-24-2014, 06:04 PM
My vote is DG 601/105. I use it here in AZ. where daily summer temps are 110-120 and it still lasts a year or more. Rinseless washes with DG 932.
Occasional full washes with Aqua Wax as a drying aid.
Dave

Pureshine
05-24-2014, 07:45 PM
I would opti-coat the car and the wheels.

VP Mark
05-24-2014, 08:52 PM
I would opti-coat the car and the wheels.

Aaaaand we have a winner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

peterhurcos
05-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Don't you wait several weeks before waxing new paint?

Pureshine
05-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Don't you wait several weeks before waxing new paint?

Yes wait time is at least 30 day maybe more.