PDA

View Full Version : Electric sanders for autobody work

Methodical
05-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Are there any good electric DA sanders that can be used to prepare body panels for paint? I know air is better, but I don't have a compressor (Sears 30 gal 8.6 scfm at 40psi, 7.8 @ 90psi) that would support an air driven DA. Or are there some decent palm sanders that my little ole compressor can handle?

Thanks...Al

Methodical
05-25-2014, 02:12 PM
No one has any suggestions?

TurboToys
05-26-2014, 01:30 AM
you should pick up a sander with a cfm rating that is good enough for your compressor if you are worried it won't work with it.

such as this

Eastwood 6 Inch Dual Action Air Palm Sander (http://www.eastwood.com/6-dual-action-air-palm-sander.html?srccode=ga220010&gclid=CMKf16D6yL4CFSMQ7Aod3AIAjQ)

claims 2.8 cfm at 90 psi, which means your compressor (which i believe is the same one i have) can keep up with it just fine.

my craftsman palm DA is rated around 4-5 cfm @ 90 psi. and there is an ingersoll rand one that probably produces a lot more torque that consumes 15 cfm @ 90 psi.

shop around, find what you need. electric could work just fine, but people tend to use the air powered for sanding if you don't use dust collection because you have far less chance of destroying it, dust can easily get picked up by the electric motor through the air inlet for cooling, and cause premature failure.

if you dont wan't a palm. craftsman also has an air DA that uses 4 cfm

Craftsman Dual Action Sander | ShopYourWay (http://www.shopyourway.com/craftsman-dual-action-sander/286293)

Methodical
05-26-2014, 07:27 AM
Thanks man. What I've been finding those ratings tends to be a no load rating and 3x that when loaded. These may be the ticket. Researching them now. Btw, I like the Eastwood site. I've been looking at their LVLP spray guns, too.

Thanks again.

Methodical
05-27-2014, 07:19 AM
I've decide to run dedicated 240v circuit for the air compressor. I use my air compressor for many jobs and I would benefit from a larger unit.