PDA

View Full Version : IPA wipedown or not?

jl8948
05-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Hey all,
I'm planning on attempting my first ever detail this weekend and I'm looking for a little advice. I'll be detailing my 2010 Ford Fusion with tuxedo black metallic paint. The paint is in good condition with minor swirls and I'm hoping I'll be able to get the correction I want with my PC and M205 with LC white pads (test spot of course to see how it goes). I've been reading a lot about how IPA wipedowns on black paint can cause marring and I'm not sure if this is something I should be concerned about. My plan is to follow the M205 with a ~12.5% wipedown then Collinite 845 as my LSP. Thanks for any words of wisdom!

hernandez.art13
05-23-2014, 08:16 PM
I don't know how correct this is but I wouldn't do an IPA wipedown if I'm just using a wax like Collinite. Seems overkill to me. :dunno:

If I was doing a coating then yes. For opti coat I do like IPA wipedowns.

For a wax like Collinite I would just do a WW wash.

Just my opinion.

jamesboyy
05-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Marring is usually caused by human error that said when you do your wipe down be sure to use the weight of towel only and when working on vertical panels use a very light touch good luck on your detail you will make that ford look a winner for sure

FUNX650
05-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Since you're not applying a Coating as the LSP:

Perhaps the IPA wipedown on the "test spot"
(just for paint-correction-peace-of-mind)...
And that's all!!

Bob

Belair
05-23-2014, 08:29 PM
I've never done an IPA wipedown. Griot's has a prewax cleaner that's economical & works fine for my purposes, but I've never used a coating either. Since you're not going to coat, why even think about IPA? (There are so many ways to get distracted & lose focus, says a man who knows.)

chet31
05-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Agree, no need for IPA wipedown unless doing a coating.

jl8948
05-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the input everyone...looks like I'll stay away from the IPA wipedown. I'm excited to see how this goes. Wish me luck!

The Critic
05-23-2014, 09:00 PM

Agreed, no need for wipedown unless you are coating.

custmsprty
05-23-2014, 09:15 PM

:iagree:

WillWashesCars
05-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Don't bother. If you are just using Collinite, you'll be fine. The risk when doing an IPA wipedown isn't really the black paint but rather the lack of lubricity when wiping. Either way, don't bother if you are not coating.

VP Mark
05-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Unless I'm using an AIO or in direct sunlight on a soft clear I always use IPA or eraser post polishing. Polishing oils don't go away just because you are using a wax or sealant. It takes 5-10 minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

cshamilton
05-23-2014, 10:00 PM
I think folks are misunderstanding the purpose of the "IPA wipe down" here.

I'm no pro but I think the first few posters (bob excluded) are discussing it in the sense that it will prepare the paint to adhere to the lsp better. Hence the comment about the rinseless wash.

In your case, ie: paint correction, I believe (as bob was referencing in his typical-somewhat-cryptic-mostly-over-my-head style) your benefit will be from removing anything that you may have left behind- polishing oils or fillers- that can give the impression of full correction when you've really just filled in some of the imperfections that could be removed with a little more work.

If you don't want to risk marring your paint, bobs suggestion of wiping the test spot makes the most sense. As the pros on this site state, do a test spot until your happy and mimic that work and you'll likely be happy with the final result.

Mark has an incredible point though, why would you spend all that time trying to get something looking perfect and avoid taking the 10 minutes to check your work. (Using you in general, not the OP)

FUNX650
05-23-2014, 10:47 PM
I believe (as bob was referencing in his typical-somewhat-cryptic-mostly-over-my-head style)

If you don't want to risk marring your paint, bobs suggestion of wiping the test spot makes the most sense.
As long as you're able to first decipher; then read, comprehend, and further engage in discourse from my "hiero-cryptics"...{:D}

I feel the goal for each particular posting of mine, (no matter how seemingly hapless), has been attained!! {LOL}

Bob

cshamilton
05-24-2014, 12:41 PM
As long as you're able to first decipher; then read, comprehend, and further engage in discourse from my "hiero-cryptics"...{:D}

I feel the goal for each particular posting of mine, (no matter how seemingly hapless), has been attained!! {LOL}

Bob

I enjoy it! It's like reading the actual newspaper instead of reading the comics!