PDA

View Full Version : Should I use the OEM CC or aftermarket?

Thejoyofdriving
07-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Lately i have been fixing up some mistakes on my paint. I have been using a BMW touch up paint set. The thing is that after i sand down the globs and polish the paint i am going to apply a clear coat. The CC in the BMW kit has a small brush to apply it, but i am looking at covering a larger area 1inch x 1inch, so i went out and bought some duplicolor clear acrylic clear topping, it is in a spray form, which i think would be better fo a larger area like i am doing, but i dont know if it is going to have the same look as the BMW CC, so should i use the BMW CC with the brush or the duplicolor spray CC? Also, i know when you get a car repainted you should wait a few months before you wax it, does this apply to these touch up areas too, or can i hit them with wax after 24hrs?

67Customs
07-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Of the two, I would use the spray bomb clear. The brush just wont look right. Neither will match the original clear perfectly, but you will get a better lay with the spray bomb.

I wouldn't add wax on that area for at least a month. It still has to cure like any other clear. However, it will cure faster than OEM clear because it isn't as strong. It will always be softer.

Good luck.

Thejoyofdriving
07-24-2007, 04:52 PM
well, im thinking that the BMW touch up clear coat will match better than the after market spray because the spray is a general purpose clear coat, its not made for bimmers. After I apply either clear coat I plan on wet sanding it down to level it down to the surrounding clear coat.

Strokin04
07-24-2007, 05:36 PM
The only way you will tell which one will match up better or look better is to do a test spot with both and see what you like better. Also in most cases the only differences in clear is if it is for flexible applications like the bumpers or if it is color tinted. Either case you shouldn't really have an issue since you are only doing a tiny spot and silver paint does not usually get sprayed with a tinted clear coat.

budman3
07-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Clear is clear. BMW doesn't use anything different in their clear coats... Do you have access to an airbrush? Take your BMW stuff and spray some on with an airbrush. That'll make a nice even coat. The brush will leave brush marks and the rattle can stuff is better for larger areas (more than 6 inches probably).