PDA

View Full Version : DA Polisher

Pages : [1] 2

BRLAHTI
05-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Whats a good DA starter kit for a beginner? What would you guys suggest to start off with? whether it be budget or even if money isn't a issue. Flex, PC, Etc. pads, compunds, polish, etc.

Coopers ST
05-23-2014, 01:43 PM
I bought a GG6 for my first one. I am very happy with it.

refreshauto
05-23-2014, 02:07 PM
PC for a good starter. if money is not an issue FLEX or Rupes. Menzerna, Wolfgang polishes with the Flex with LC backing plate system and 5" hybrid pads. For the Rupes get the complete system from machine, pads and polishes.

maximus5403
05-23-2014, 02:34 PM
+1 for Rupes complete system. Love it!

Kamakaz1961
05-23-2014, 02:47 PM
If money were no option I would get the Flex 3401 VRG. It is a great DA. However, that being said....the Rupes is also a great DA.
The only problem is the Rupes cost more. The Flex has more flexibility (get it?) with different backing plates and there are more types of Pads available.
The Rupes is more limiting and you have to use their pads to be effective. The Lake Country Pads or other pads will fall apart with the Rupes because their throw is so large.

Now that I have caused a Stink, I will shut up now....AGAIN, either machine is great.

I have the Flex 3401 VRG ad that is the DA I use about 90% of the time. I use the PC or GG 3" the other 10% just to make sure I am still familiar with the machine or bored.

As for limited money...The PC 7424 XP or the Griots Garage 6". I prefer the PC....again, I will shut up now.

kevin_1981
05-23-2014, 02:51 PM
I just started and I am using the pc7424xp. I like it for the most part, but after using a rupes, it's no competition. Like night and day, but I wouldn't be able to justify the cost. The pc is probably safer for beginners, as I believe the flex has forced rotation, making it easier to damage paint

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AG Online

refreshauto
05-23-2014, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=kevin_1981;1107075]I just started and I am using the pc7424xp. I like it for the most part, but after using a rupes, it's no competition. Like night and day, but I wouldn't be able to justify the cost. The pc is probably safer for beginners, as I believe the flex has forced rotation, making it easier to damage paint

These are both DA's and the chances of damaging paint with either is almost next to impossible even if the Flex is forced rotation. this only helps on a curved surface where most other would stop spinning the the Flex does not. i own the Flex 3401 and have not had a single problem with it

Kamakaz1961
05-23-2014, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=kevin_1981;1107075]I just started and I am using the pc7424xp. I like it for the most part, but after using a rupes, it's no competition. Like night and day, but I wouldn't be able to justify the cost. The pc is probably safer for beginners, as I believe the flex has forced rotation, making it easier to damage paint

These are both DA's and the chances of damaging paint with either is almost next to impossible even if the Flex is forced rotation. this only helps on a curved surface where most other would stop spinning the the Flex does not. i own the Flex 3401 and have not had a single problem with it

:iagree: Love the Flex and no need for another DA because the Flex is a beast!! Additionally, I have never had any issue with burning the paint

VISITOR
05-23-2014, 04:07 PM
this is one of the most talked about subjects. pick up a GG6 and 3", 3.5" and 5" DA backing plates and the corresponding pads as well. as far as polishes and compounds, there are many to choose from and there's a trade/samples section and maybe you can get a sample of something you are interested in and go from there...

many say they don't need the DA after buying a rupes and/or flex and i have to disagree. i personally would always have a traditional DA in my detailing arsenal because it's veratile and you can do many things with it and not to mention having it as a back-up...

Paul A.
05-23-2014, 04:37 PM
For what it's worth to you, i will eventually replace my rotary and Porter Cable ROB with Flex units. 2 huge reasons. I want to continue to use my very large inventory of pads and the reputation of the Flex products. I will admit the Rupes has me interested from users here who have offered opinions and advice. Seems like a favorite for even some of the pro's here and THAT'S the kind of testimonial i like.

The problem i have is that i can't kill my rotary and my PC. With that said i can wholeheartedly recommend the Porter Cable ROB based on my experience with it. For a "budget" consideration it's a solid machine. It has been through a virtual war and is still rocking and rolling. I will keep it outfitted with 3" pads as a dedicated small work area machine after i get a new Flex.

BRLAHTI
05-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys seems like the flex and pc are most versatile and most ppl recommend... just not sure to start off with the pc then upgrade if anything down the road or just go ahead spend the extra and get the flex?

Kamakaz1961
05-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys seems like the flex and pc are most versatile and most ppl recommend... just not sure to start off with the pc then upgrade if anything down the road or just go ahead spend the extra and get the flex?

I did the PC route 1st. Got used to it and then realized I was killing myself in terms of time in paint correction. I bought the Flex 3401 VRG because of the threads from this site.

IMO, that was the best advise....PERIOD. The Flex is UNIQUE and no other DA is a forced DA. It is smooth and you will cut your correcting time by a minimum of 40%.

Had I known about the Flex the 1st time...I would have gone that route. There are many adaptable plates and pads for the Flex.

Either machine you cannot go wrong. It is just what you would like to accomplish.

:xyxthumbs:

sdimas
05-23-2014, 07:33 PM
I actually bought a flex 3401 as my first dual action polisher just over a month ago. I really love it, but I cannot compare it to anything else, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trade it fit anything

peterhurcos
05-23-2014, 08:54 PM
If money were no option I would get the Flex 3401 VRG. It is a great DA. However, that being said....the Rupes is also a great DA.
The only problem is the Rupes cost more. The Flex has more flexibility (get it?) with different backing plates and there are more types of Pads available.
The Rupes is more limiting and you have to use their pads to be effective. The Lake Country Pads or other pads will fall apart with the Rupes because their throw is so large.

Now that I have caused a Stink, I will shut up now....AGAIN, either machine is great.

I have the Flex 3401 VRG ad that is the DA I use about 90% of the time. I use the PC or GG 3" the other 10% just to make sure I am still familiar with the machine or bored.

As for limited money...The PC 7424 XP or the Griots Garage 6". I prefer the PC....again, I will shut up now.

Love my Flex, but its overkill. On the other hand, I will never be tempted to buy another DA that's for sure. My car always looks like a million bucks. I could sell it tomorrow for a hundred bucks less than I paid new probably, So, not a bad buy.

I'd go the other way if I had to do it again. I'd get a Harbor Freight machine (they didn't have them when I bought). It gets the job done for a reasonable cost. These aren't precision machines, so there isn't any downside except durability for the el cheapo HF model. If it last three or four years you are way ahead of the game.

I'm in the minority on this, but I'd stay away from the medium price machines. Sure they work fine, but they are expensive enough to inhibit you from upgrading when maybe you should, but not better enough from the cheap machines to justify their premium.

chet31
05-23-2014, 09:09 PM
I have a PC 7424 (not the XP), bought about 4 yrs ago. It did not take long before I was wishing for more power. Having said that, it's easy to use, it's good for mild to moderate depth swirls, and it doesn't sling product all over the place. If you get the 3" backing plate and pads, you get better rotation and you can get after deep swirls in much less time. Wish I had realized this sooner, the machine is a pleasure to use w/ the 3" pads.

And the thing is bulletproof. I keep waiting for it to die so I can buy a Flex, but I can't kill the damn thing. I haven't pulled the trigger on a Flex because I am a hobbyist and the PC does the job. If I was a pro I'd go Flex or Rupes.