PDA

View Full Version : Need help with touch up paint

Paulyfe12
05-22-2014, 11:37 PM
This is a very sad time, well actually a sad and happy time. I was all set to fix the pretty severe gash on the bottom of my bumper on my 2013 VW GTI in Candy White. I had purchased a color match kit from dupli-color. but Im happy I researched it more before I used it and everyone who has used it, even those that worked at stores that sell it, have said its horrible and not worth it. So I am in need of help, I need to know where I can get factory perfect clear coat and factory perfect color for my VW GTI. Trying to make that gash disappear. I know I could go to a dealership for it, but I have a feeling I'd get a hiked up price for it. So i'm open to looking around first to find a better deal. I'm begging you people, help me out.

Belair
05-22-2014, 11:47 PM
If you can find a paint store, or even an auto body shop although this is less likely, that can mix a small amount for you, you'd be set. But most stores only want to deal with gallons not ounces. Maybe check with someone in a local classic car club for a referral; sometimes these guys know someone who can do it. There are also clubs for VW enthusiasts everywhere.

richy
05-23-2014, 12:04 AM
Where I live we have a paint supply house that mixes the paint for all the local body shops. They mix and sell touch up bottles. Check to see if you have something similar in your area.

mwoolfso
05-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Google "touch-up paint". I have used the top 2-3 search results and never had a problem.

petmic10
05-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Touch Up Paint and Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup (http://www.automotivetouchup.com/)

goldenlight
05-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Personally I would write down the paint code and then Google vw touch up paint along with code on amazon or eBay. Sometimes you get lucky and find a dealer that will sell you OEM touch up at a good price.

ScubaCougr
05-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Vote here for Dr. Colorchip available here or online.

Can be dabbed on with a toothpick or brush to help with long gashes. Used it on a 6" long bicycle-handlebar gash on my truck door and the paint-match is perfect even though my application isn't totally smooth.

pld
05-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Where I live we have a paint supply house that mixes the paint for all the local body shops. They mix and sell touch up bottles. Check to see if you have something similar in your area.
CROSS CANADA is an awesome place on Walker rd; very good people to deal with.:dblthumb2:

Jaretr1
05-24-2014, 03:46 PM
I have used Dr. Colorchip and their system works reasonably well, although not perfect, it does not leave any blobs! I have also gotten paint from Automotivetouchup and the color match was spot on perfect. Actually, once they sent me a bad match (white and it had a blue tint, wasnt even close), but they sent a second jar and it was perfect. And I also ordered a metallic blue from them and it was exact, although I screwed up the touch up job myself.

Paul A.
05-24-2014, 04:46 PM
I used an online vendor PaintScratch.com twice in the past. After the first time and getting a perfect match for my old BMW (2004) i went with them again for a neighbors scratch repair. Again, a perfect match so i was impressed and thought it wasn't a first time luck out.