PDA

View Full Version : Removing WG Deep Gloss Sealant from pad

Pages : [1] 2

bluecharger09
05-22-2014, 12:52 PM
I used my new gear for the first time last weekend, and I washed all the pads really well. When I went to put them away last night after letting them dry I noticed that the pads I used for the sealant still had some product in them. I noticed while washing them that the product didn't see to dssolve in the water like the others. How do I get the rest of it out?

I held a terry towel to it while running the DA to get most of the excess out, and then washed the pads with Detailer's Pad Rejuvenator. Rinsed them good, and then ran them on the DA to spin out the excess water.

Dayonta675
05-22-2014, 12:57 PM
I fought with mine for a bit, ended up just sealing the pad in a zip lock bag and calling it quits.

05-22-2014, 12:58 PM
I used my new gear for the first time last weekend, and I washed all the pads really well. When I went to put them away last night after letting them dry I noticed that the pads I used for the sealant still had some product in them. I noticed while washing them that the product didn't see to dssolve in the water like the others. How do I get the rest of it out?

I held a terry towel to it while running the DA to get most of the excess out, and then washed the pads with Detailer's Pad Rejuvenator. Rinsed them good, and then ran them on the DA to spin out the excess water.

What did you use to wash the pads?

swanicyouth
05-22-2014, 01:27 PM
The only thing I've found to remove it 100% are mineral spirits.

fly07sti
05-22-2014, 01:57 PM
The only thing I've found to remove it 100% are mineral spirits.

+1 I use mineral spirits to get out any stains or sealants that won't wash out, then use a good pad cleaner afterwards to get out any MS residue.

barkeater
05-22-2014, 03:00 PM
I encountered same issue last year after using the product for the first time. tried cleaning with pad cleaner and made a mess. Now I just keep it sealed in a zip lock for the next app.

Kamakaz1961
05-22-2014, 03:02 PM
I use Meguiar's Cone Pad cleaner. Saturate the pad with the cleaner. Put the Pad in a bucket full of warm water (I use hot as it seems to break down the chemical easier) and let it soak in the bucket for about 15 minutes. That should do the trick. I use Menzerna Power Lock (sealant) and I use to have a similar problem.

With this technique (for me at least), I no longer have any cleaning issues with Pads regardless of what chemicals are on them.

Mike Phillips
05-22-2014, 03:04 PM
You can find more information about this topic by doing a search on this forum using the words

water insoluble

The reason it's hard to remove waxes and sealants out of hand applicator pads and machine foam waxing pads is because these types of products are not easily broken down with water or even water and soap.

It's actually a very good sign if you cannot wash the product out of a pad because this is showing you that it's also not going to easily wash off your car.

Think about it.... :D

:xyxthumbs:

Eric@CherryOnTop
05-22-2014, 07:03 PM
I usually designate that pad as being only for that sealant in the future. I do my best to get whatever I can out of it by washing it, then I roll it up in a terry towel a few times to get whatever else I can out. I'll then put that pad in a labelled zip loc bag for future use only with that sealant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaHen
05-22-2014, 07:37 PM
:iagree: Likewise.

DAnewbie
07-01-2014, 07:38 PM
I like pads that have a white backing to them for the single purpose of labeling the pad with what product has been used on/in them. with all the colors manufactures are producing that's that only way I can keep my sanity straight. never tried MS tho.

RA-88Z
08-03-2014, 07:56 PM
I encountered same issue last year after using the product for the first time. tried cleaning with pad cleaner and made a mess. Now I just keep it sealed in a zip lock for the next app.

:iagree: I do the samething :xyxthumbs:

UglyBetty
08-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I have the same issue. That pad is labeled with a marker WGDGPS 3.0. I clean as best I can with a pad cleaner and let dry. When I go to use it next time I put on the polisher and hit it with a pad brush to get as much residue as it can out of it.

allenk4
08-03-2014, 08:14 PM
I use Meguiar's Cone Pad cleaner. Saturate the pad with the cleaner. Put the Pad in a bucket full of warm water (I use hot as it seems to break down the chemical easier) and let it soak in the bucket for about 15 minutes. That should do the trick. I use Menzerna Power Lock (sealant) and I use to have a similar problem.

With this technique (for me at least), I no longer have any cleaning issues with Pads regardless of what chemicals are on them.

Have you tried this method on WGDGPS?

For some reason the WGDGPS is much tougher to get out of pads than anything else I have used

Looks Great and Lasts...so I guess it's just a trade-off

Chito
08-03-2014, 08:23 PM
What are mineral spirits? I'm not a handyman. Who makes them? What brands are available?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AG Online