PDA

View Full Version : Chewing Gum Removal

skyryder
06-10-2006, 09:46 PM
I have chewing gum from the road I picked up today on the driver side door of my new black Sky. Very visible. Is there a simple way of removing without rewaxing? that want hurt the finish? :(

Kelso
06-11-2006, 12:34 AM
i use mineral spirits on a towel. it just rubs right off, takes anything off, but definately need to wax the area immediatly afterwards cause i think it removes wax too and could potentially hurt the surface if left on there

scooterguitar
06-11-2006, 08:19 AM
I ahve no clue, but I'll throw this at you...to get gum out of yoru hair, use peanut butter, it works great!

BlackRocks
06-11-2006, 08:59 AM
WD-40 is also very good at removing such things, tar and gum, but not sure how it reacts with paint. I have used it before, but immediately re-washed the area I used the WD40 on.

Todd

ScottB
06-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Wd-40 or Goof Off (water based formula) ---- then rewax the area.

Kelso
06-11-2006, 10:15 AM
i had a customer about a week or 2 ago tell me he sprayed wd40 all over the front end to keep the love bugs off. my jaw dropped because he made it sound like he left a layer of it on there. he's like what is that bad or something? ummm yeaaaaa. wd40 on a car in a florida summer with no wax behind it ether...some people

BILL
06-11-2006, 10:22 AM
A Little ACETONE will also do it, then re-wax the area.......

ScottB
06-11-2006, 11:24 AM
i had a customer about a week or 2 ago tell me he sprayed wd40 all over the front end to keep the love bugs off. my jaw dropped because he made it sound like he left a layer of it on there. he's like what is that bad or something? ummm yeaaaaa. wd40 on a car in a florida summer with no wax behind it ether...some people

I hate to tell you I did this with great results. I had a rental that I needed to use for a cross Fl jaunt in the middle of lovebug season. I covered the front with WD-40 and drove across, did my responsibilites, and came back two days later. Prior to returning the car I took it to a car wash. They offered to clean it for 10.00 more than normal as front was coated in black bugs.

I asked them to make a bet .... if they took a pressure hose with just water and they all washed off, I would get a free car wash. The guy took it on, and was amazed at how fast they washed off with no scrubbing or presoak. I got my free wash, and was also truly amazed it worked, as I had read it on the internet.

The principle is valid although messy. The silicones or oils used in WD-40 appear not to dry in heat and thus became an agent to encapsulate the bug guts while protecting the finish. Now had it been my own car, I likely would not have tried it. But think .... some of the previous waxes and sealants were heavily silicone based and as such could have done something similar.

joe.p
06-11-2006, 03:38 PM
WD-40) The gum will dissolve instsantly..

Kelso
06-11-2006, 10:13 PM
id be afraid to leave it on my own car...that cant be good for the paint.

but you screwed that guy cause the gun should beable to take the bugs off anyways, just takes a while for the bad cars( in which case its easier to use presoak and a scrubber) so you won automatically. nice haha

snomon1017
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I can't say I've tried this on paint, but this is how we (former) Canadians get gum out: frreze it with ice. Hold an ice cube on it until the gum gets really hard. It then looses its stick and comes right off. You can take gum off cloths, carpets, furniture, hair, etc using this technique. Ice will not harm the surface of your paint either, so there's no risk in trying it. If it works, great. If not, no loss and no need to re-wax.

joe.p
06-12-2006, 03:32 PM
id be afraid to leave it on my own car...that cant be good for the paint.

but you screwed that guy cause the gun should beable to take the bugs off anyways, just takes a while for the bad cars( in which case its easier to use presoak and a scrubber) so you won automatically. nice haha
WD-40 wont hurt the paint. The solvents in WD-40 will dissolve the gum instantly. I used it many of times to rmove gum from the kids hair,clothes and tar from my interior carpet. Not long ago WD-40 had a contest to see who could find 2,000 ways to use there product.