PDA

View Full Version : Well water??

cwienk
05-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Hi guys!

My house is on well water, should I avoid washing my vehicle with that water or even allowing it to hit?

dsg03gt
05-21-2014, 10:32 AM
I wash my cars with my well water.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Finemess
05-21-2014, 10:36 AM
I use well water for my washes. You have sediment your worried about? Put a filter on it.

hammy1983
05-21-2014, 10:44 AM
I use well water but I have a filtration system that also removes iron/sulphur and a water softener.

cwienk
05-21-2014, 10:52 AM
thanks for the answers guys, im just worried about spotting etc. ill probably buy a filter

FrankS
05-21-2014, 11:06 AM
What part of the country are you in?

Did a detail recently on a 2013 GMC Terrain and the rear part of this SUV was wet with well water and not dried off immediately. There was a lot of iron present on this part of the car when sprayed with Iron-X. This was in south FL where this is a lot of iron in well water. This was the worst part of the car and was the area that was wet with well water.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2419/800_IMG_1316.JPG

Angus
05-21-2014, 11:49 AM
I also have a well with a whole house filtration plus softening system and don't have any issues. Before buying any of the inline hose filters I'd suggest getting your water tested to see what you're dealing with and go from there.

cwienk
05-21-2014, 12:08 PM
What part of the country are you in?

Did a detail recently on a 2013 GMC Terrain and the rear part of this SUV was wet with well water and not dried off immediately. There was a lot of iron present on this part of the car when sprayed with Iron-X. This was in south FL where this is a lot of iron in well water. This was the worst part of the car and was the area that was wet with well water.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2419/800_IMG_1316.JPG

I am also in south florida, so im assuming I will be dealing with the same problem.

Lost Highway
05-21-2014, 12:22 PM
I also have a well with a whole house filtration plus softening system and don't have any issues. Before buying any of the inline hose filters I'd suggest getting your water tested to see what you're dealing with and go from there.

This is good advice. It will only cost you $40.00* or less to get your water tested. If you're drinking, cooking and bathing in that water as well as washing your car you probably ought to know what is in it. I've used Ward Labs out of Nebraska, they're fast and were cheaper than my in-state options. Knowing what issues you face allows you to pick the most cost effective fix.

*$40.00 will get you a very detailed report including both minerals and coliform bacteria. You can get a less detailed report for less money.

dad07
05-21-2014, 03:24 PM

:iagree:this my set up too!

This is good advice. It will only cost you $40.00* or less to get your water tested. If you're drinking, cooking and bathing in that water as well as washing your car you probably ought to know what is in it. I've used Ward Labs out of Nebraska, they're fast and were cheaper than my in-state options. Knowing what issues you face allows you to pick the most cost effective fix.

*$40.00 will get you a very detailed report including both minerals and coliform bacteria. You can get a less detailed report for less money.

good info here. It costs a fortune here to have my water tested.......I think it was like 105 bucks the last time.

brondondolon
05-21-2014, 04:04 PM
Im over by Lake Tahoe in NV and my house runs off well water. Ive never had an issue. It tastes better then bottled water and works fine on my truck.