PDA

View Full Version : CQUK vs Duragloss vs DP vs Opti-Coat comparison

Pages : [1] 2 3

RobZ71LM7
05-20-2014, 08:48 PM
So I have samples of each coating and decided to do a comparison of performance and durability. I detailed the wife's Honda Fit and put all 4 on different spots of the car's roof.

Prep:

Wash
Clay w/ONR
Duragloss Squeaky Clean
20% IPA x2
CarPro Eraser x2

Coatings:

Duragloss Enivroshield (2 coats)
DP Paint Coating (2 coats)
CQUK (2 coats)
Opti-Coat

I was going to wait to post results, but I noticed a strong difference this evening. Both CQUK and Opti-Coat have significantly less dust and pollen on them versus the other two coatings. Duragloss and DP both look about the same and have significantly more dust. So in terms of dust CQUK and Opti-Coat are tied for first and Duragloss and DP are tied for second. Ironically, Duragloss and DP are both much slicker to the touch.

Setec Astronomy
05-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Very interesting. Keep us posted as time goes on.

Chris@AutoCleanse
05-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Great idea and test. Thanks for taking the time to do this and post your results. I am already a Cquartz UK user and usually what I sell to the customers, but am curious how the others will perform especially the new DG coating.

CDot
05-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Great idea; subbed

davey g-force
05-20-2014, 09:51 PM
This could be a long test, but I'm here for the long haul!

Subscribing!

05-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Subd!

CCC4me
05-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Looking forward to the results!

Did you use the Squeaky Clean ahead of the DG?

GreatAvalon
05-20-2014, 10:19 PM
Sub'd!

FUNX650
05-20-2014, 10:39 PM
This could be a long test, but I'm here for the long haul!

Subscribing!
^^^:iagree:^^^

See you in about a year or two, or so:
God willing, and the creeks don't rise.

Bob

Ginnova
05-21-2014, 12:28 AM
Sub'd!

silverfox
05-21-2014, 12:47 AM
Ironically both DP and DG have their own pre-coating polish products, (no IPA required), whereas Eraser is a Carpro product, and Opticoat recommends an IPA before applying. You did apply Eraser after the squeaky clean.

Although one can argue, so what..?...I suspect we don't know everything there is to know about various coatings, and their reactions to various prep chemicals, so we may not be talking apples to apples here. Just a thought. DP and DG both require no additional steps after using their designated prep products prior to application of their coatings

KillaCam
05-21-2014, 01:06 AM
Ironically both DP and DG have their own pre-coating polish products, (no IPA required), whereas Eraser is a Carpro product, and Opticoat recommends an IPA before applying. You did apply Eraser after the squeaky clean.

Although one can argue, so what..?...I suspect we don't know everything there is to know about various coatings, and their reactions to various prep chemicals, so we may not be talking apples to apples here. Just a thought. DP and DG both require no additional steps after using their designated prep products prior to application of their coatings

Optimum also has a product called primer which is probably identical to SC. I think it is a pretty accurate test myself. I wouldn't trust just an IPA wipedown prior to coating.

silverfox
05-21-2014, 01:21 AM
I'm only only posing a point that DP and DG do not require additional prep steps after using their own formulated prep products. Just throwing that out there.

I'm beginning to question whether we can dump all products we call coatings into the same apple barrel in terms of how we prep for them. Maybe, just maybe...they aren't. That's all I'm saying.

tommythecat
05-21-2014, 01:57 AM
I applied DP paint coating to my hood and roof about a week and a half ago. The day I applied the coating, pollen stuck to it like nobody's business. It rained the next day and nothing has stuck to it since.

I believe one of the claims for the DP coating is that it has anti-static properties. I wonder if the initial application creates a static build-up causing the pollen/dust to stick to it until that energy is discharged.

Has anyone else experienced this?

dc52nv
05-21-2014, 02:41 AM
Sub'd and thanks for taking the time in doing this.