PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 questions.

Trilitai
05-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Hello. I just detailed my car today with porter cable. I washed, clay and used an all in one product (Duragloss 501) to clean the paint. Then finally waxed the car with Collinite 845. Here are my questions. Thanks so much!

1. I read a lot of posts and people keep saying to apply the 845 very thin. I only used a few drops per panel and to the point that I don't even see anything after it was applied. Is this normal to apply that thin like it is invisible?

2. I waited an hour and remove the 845 very easily. But kind of disappointed that I didn't achieve the shine like the other people posted on this forum. Will the shine become more noticeable after a day of curing?

stemyx
05-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Yes usually when the wax has cured on the paint, it will reveal the shine. Happens with many waxes and sealants. Wait like a day or so and you will notice it! :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

HateSwirls
05-20-2014, 08:31 PM
I apply mine so thin it's hard to see the wax on the paint.
Just remember , thin is in:)

Tip...

Not sure if you have any left on your pad?, touch the windshield with it, if you see a blog of it you don't need to apply more to the pad.

mwoolfso
05-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Hello. I just detailed my car today with porter cable. I washed, clay and used an all in one product (Duragloss 501) to clean the paint. Then finally waxed the car with Collinite 845. Here are my questions. Thanks so much!

1. I read a lot of posts and people keep saying to apply the 845 very thin. I only used a few drops per panel and to the point that I don't even see anything after it was applied. Is this normal to apply that thin like it is invisible? Yes, but if you go to an extreme on thin and you are applying by hand then chances are good you will have some areas where you have too little - hence you may need another layer which is not a bad thing at all.

2. I waited an hour and remove the 845 very easily. But kind of disappointed that I didn't achieve the shine like the other people posted on this forum. Will the shine become more noticeable after a day of curing? Can't tell without pics if what you are seeing is normal.

CDot
05-20-2014, 09:36 PM
Not sure if you have any left on your pad?, touch the windshield with it, if you see a blog of it you don't need to apply more to the pad.

This is what I do when applying...great test

stemyx
05-20-2014, 11:06 PM
I apply mine so thin it's hard to see the wax on the paint.
Just remember , thin is in:)

Tip...

Great tip swirl hater! :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

Desertnate
05-21-2014, 07:58 AM
1. I read a lot of posts and people keep saying to apply the 845 very thin. I only used a few drops per panel and to the point that I don't even see anything after it was applied. Is this normal to apply that thin like it is invisible?

If you didn't see anything after you applied it, you might have put it down too thin. Even when using Klasse SG which goes on thinner than 845 you will see a very slight haze in the right lighting. In the case of 845 you should see at least something on the panel as your going and it should haze up when ready to be buffed off. Not thick white caked on material, but a thin dull looking haze.

I agree with mwoolfso to do another coat. I found it very hard to get the even coverage needed by hand and a second coat will probably fill in those areas.

MarkD51
05-21-2014, 08:08 AM
There's also the possibility that with the combination use of two different products, DG501, and Colly 845 you might of compromised the qualities of both?

I would've said use one, or the other, or, that if you were going to eventually top 501 with something, to perhaps wait a week or two.

That the use of an odd mixture of different products might produce odd, or less than optimal final results.
Mark

Jaretr1
05-21-2014, 11:13 AM
I have topped XMT360 (which is an all in one) with Collinite 845 with excellent results.

845 goes on thin, but can you put it on to thin? NO. If you are putting any on at all, you are applying enough. Is it possible you were not putting any on? That there simply wasnt enough product left on the pad? Possibly. But like mentioned above, there usually is a slight haze once it dries which wipes off super easy. If its applied to thick, it does become harder to remove and leaves streaks.

Paul A.
05-21-2014, 11:29 AM
So thin you can't really see it going on is how i use it with phenomenal results. I will also mention that i apply 2 layers and both are super thin. The second layer is simply to ensure i didn't mis any spots or to even out the coverage.

I also notice the gloss the next day.

sshazam
01-06-2015, 06:32 AM
i'm having this exact same problem.

I've been applying it by hand and held the pad to the glass which did leave a slight residue but i'm unsure if I should have applied it thicker.

If I apply a second coat do I have to let that cure for another 12 hours ?

frankprozzoly
01-06-2015, 06:49 AM
I use a drop every 3 by 3 area. I don't have any problems. I don't cake it on but I'm not gonna put it on to the point I can't see it. No problems and looks shiny to me. Silver and dark blue both very shiny

KMdef9
01-06-2015, 12:54 PM
How was the the paint looking before the wax?

If there was stiff alot of defects, a wax won't make much of a difference.

cheapbutshiny
01-06-2015, 12:59 PM
I would also mention that proper lighting is extremely helpful in being able to see the product on the paint. When I've applied 845 to a red vehicle, I couldn't see anything on the paint except from a very specific angle with just the right reflection from my shop light. Tapping the pad on the windshield or other piece of glass to see if there's product being laid down is very helpful.