PDA

View Full Version : MF towels. Need help

cruzeeco2012
05-20-2014, 02:02 PM
I wash my microfiber towels with hot water, using the micro-restore mf detergent with the wash cycle on delicate, I don't use fabric softener or bleach, and I dry them on low heat with no dryer sheets. I work in a factory that deals with fiber glass, and I was told to wash my clothes with either fabric softener, dryer sheets, or tennis balls with the laundry soap. I do this everytime I wash my clothes. My question is, Based off my washing methods on how I wash my towels and clothes using the same wash machine, Do you think my towels are affected?. Would I have to buy new towels just to be safe, or is there any way I can safely get the possibly stuck fibers out of my towels without ruining them?.

wdmaccord
05-20-2014, 02:08 PM
I use the same machine and dryer for my MF as regular clothes. Never had any issues. I don't use fabric softener in the wash and rarely use bleach, so I don't have any worries about residues there. The dryer, I usually run on high heat while the MF towels are washing to help "burn off" any residues. If you want to be sure, you could wipe down the dryer drum with a 10-15% alcohol solution.

If you use fabric softener in the wash, I'm not sure the best way to remove residues. Maybe a rinse cycle with some vinegar? Hopefully some others have ideas.

JACdetailing
05-20-2014, 02:24 PM
I doubt that using the same washer machine that has previously had fabric softener will have much of an effect on it. The water:fabric softener ratio is probably far diluted, and I'm not sure if any residues would get stuck to the washer machines walls since it is water soluble and will be drained with the water. What I do to play it safe though, is whatever load was previously used, I'll use a double rinse cycle to ensure all fabric softener is washed away.

As for dryer sheets being used previously in the dryer, you have nothing to worry about. All dryer sheets do besides make the clothes smell good is to prevent a static charge being built up on the clothes. It does this by containing positively charged particles that will bond to the negatively charged particles created by the tumbling action and heat. Since the metal drum is conductive, charges are free to move and transfer and will be deposited on the clothes and not on the drum. The residue shouldn't "stick" to the drum because of this main reason. If you feel like an IPA wipedown is necessary though, feel free to! I've had no problems going without on.

Hope that helps clear anything up!

dad07
05-20-2014, 03:56 PM
I wash my microfiber towels with hot water, using the micro-restore mf detergent with the wash cycle on delicate, I don't use fabric softener or bleach, and I dry them on low heat with no dryer sheets. I work in a factory that deals with fiber glass, and I was told to wash my clothes with either fabric softener, dryer sheets, or tennis balls with the laundry soap. I do this everytime I wash my clothes. My question is, Based off my washing methods on how I wash my towels and clothes using the same wash machine, Do you think my towels are affected?. Would I have to buy new towels just to be safe, or is there any way I can safely get the possibly stuck fibers out of my towels without ruining them?.

your making me itch!!!! I'm no expert on fiberglass however I do deal with it a lot(commercial construction) but if I was in your shoes I would wash my towels somewhere else.

I'm not saying your towels are contaminated but they could be.........and trying to find every little fiber would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

05-20-2014, 04:04 PM
It's wasting water, but run an empty cycle of wash before you wash your MFs. Also, I'd wash in warm, not hot...

MrOneEyedBoh
05-20-2014, 04:49 PM
You can also use the free and clear stuff versus the expensive MF stuff

cruzeeco2012
05-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Yeah. I understand what your all saying. I just don't want to have fiber glass In my towels and I scratch my car or a customers car. I'd almost feel better to just buy all new towels and make sure to continue to do my laundry at the laundromat. I was doing that before and figured I'd give this a shot. So far I haven't seen anything wrong with my car. Doesn't mean there isn't anything there th at scratched lol.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using AG Online

CarolinasFinestDetailing
05-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Is your washer an HE model? Waste but you could run an affresh tab in there before doing your towels.

cruzeeco2012
05-21-2014, 03:11 AM
Is your washer an HE model? Waste but you could run an affresh tab in there before doing your towels.

Mine is a washer from some brand that starts with a c. I can't think of it right now lol. Whats the afresh tab?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using AG Online