PDA

View Full Version : Hobbiest vs Pro

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jaretr1
05-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Hello,

Many of my friends know I am pretty deep into this detailing stuff, and I have done some minor work for a few of them without taking a penny. I enjoy detailing, polishing etc as a hobby and for fun. A couple of my friends have asked me to polish their cars and what would I charge. My answer was nothing. They could pay me whatever they felt the job was worth. Several of my friends have asked why I do not do this for money. I think making it a job rather than a hobby would take away the enjoyment I get from it.

I know there are lots of professionals on this forum that not only take pride in what they do, but love detailing. The fact they can make a living doing what they love is just icing on the cake.

I am just wondering if others share my same feelings, or the reverse, are pro detailers but do not enjoy it as a job.

Just my random thoughts for the day!

LaFawnduh
05-20-2014, 10:22 AM
I think about this all the time. Detailing my car is my hobby / escape. I worry that if I left the corporate world and did detailing professionally, would I regret it in a year or so after dealing with unappreciative customers or if it becomes another mundane job.

LRC3
05-20-2014, 10:56 AM
I like detailing my own stuff, I go the extra step and take my time.

I'm not sure I could take the time necessary to detail someone else's as thoroughly as my own.

I took 3 days washing, claying, compounding, polishing, and wax my truck, something tells me there's no money to be made in this field for me!! LMAO but I understand...

Angus
05-20-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm with you guys - as a stress reducing hobby I enjoy the process as much as the results. There's no way I'd ever turn a profit!

Whenever I help a friend out detailing their own ride, I teach as I go, have them purchase the compound/polish/wax products we'll need, and I'll provide my DA and other supplies. That way there's no hard feelings over $, they "own" the process, and are able to repeat it on their own.

If a project is too big for a weekend/ or paint condition beyond my comfort level I'll recommend a local professional Geek for the job.

EvolutionDetail
05-20-2014, 11:24 AM
I like detailing my own stuff, I go the extra step and take my time.

I'm not sure I could take the time necessary to detail someone else's as thoroughly as my own.

I took 3 days washing, claying, compounding, polishing, and wax my truck, something tells me there's no money to be made in this field for me!! LMAO but I understand...

Same exact thoughts here.
I CARE for my vehicle, i cant say the same for others.
Detailing is hardwork, regardless if u enjoy it or not. We are talking about 10+ HOURS of paint polishing.

silverfox
05-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Love staying a hobbyist. I'm the type that could never work on a car that I didn't put the same effort as I would with my own car...and that's not practical in a market where most people just want a clean car at the lowest cost...not premium detailing.

I just accepted an early retirement package. Done at the end of the year. Money in the bank...soon its my time to really enjoy my passion on a whole new level.

05-20-2014, 12:47 PM
I've always taken great pride in keeping my cars clean. It's only in the last couple of years did I start to learn the true art of detailing. With my perfectionist nature, I spend way too much time working on my own car and I show the same effort in working on others. Although I probably have enough products to start as a business, I much rather enjoy detailing as a hobby!

LaFawnduh
05-20-2014, 12:55 PM
I've always taken great pride in keeping my cars clean. It's only in the last couple of years did I start to learn the true art of detailing. With my perfectionist nature, I spend way too much time working on my own car and I show the same effort in working on others. Although I probably have enough products to start as a business, I much rather enjoy detailing as a hobby!

Yes! Finding AutoGeek has ruined me! Now instead of just basic touch and using OTC products, I'm using the plastic Baggie test, testing paint with swirl lights, and doing a waterless wash every 3-4 days. Hobby has become obsession.

05-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Yes! Finding AutoGeek has ruined me! Now instead of just basic touch and using OTC products, I'm using the plastic Baggie test, testing paint with swirl lights, and doing a waterless wash every 3-4 days. Hobby has become obsession.

Or how about "Look at the swirls on that car!" wifey thinks I'm nuts lol

Jaretr1
05-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Or how about "Look at the swirls on that car!" wifey thinks I'm nuts lol

I am not married, but I do the same thing in my head and say to myself "I am nuts"

05-20-2014, 01:45 PM
I am not married, but I do the same thing in my head and say to myself "I am nuts"

I have an inventory of my products in a spreadsheet - confirms I'm obsessed and nuts lol

DetailKitty
05-20-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only on here that feels this way...

People thought I was nuts using my long vacation weekend to detail a car.

They don't realize that's my "zen time" as I call it. My get away from everything and just work on my car by myself.
Besides, the car doesn't talk back or give me crap.

I don't think I could ever detail full-time... I think it would loose something.

Coyote33
05-20-2014, 03:56 PM
I started off detailing as a hobby and became addicted. I have a corporate job that I would never leave due to the income level - I did the math and would not be able to match it detailing. I also use detailing as an outlet to escape the full time job I have. I am afraid if I went into detailing full time, it would ruin it for me.

That being said - I feel I have the best of both worlds. A job that provides for my family and a side venture that allows stress relief and I do charge enough to make it worth my time. I used the profits to buy my wife a Mini Cooper so she is just fine with me spending weekends in the garage working on cars.

05-20-2014, 03:59 PM
I started off detailing as a hobby and became addicted. I have a corporate job that I would never leave due to the income level - I did the math and would not be able to match it detailing. I also use detailing as an outlet to escape the full time job I have. I am afraid if I went into detailing full time, it would ruin it for me.

That being said - I feel I have the best of both worlds. A job that provides for my family and a side venture that allows stress relief and I do charge enough to make it worth my time. I used the profits to buy my wife a Mini Cooper so she is just fine with me spending weekends in the garage working on cars.

I can relate! :dblthumb2:

VP Mark
05-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Detailing as a full time business is just that - a business. I really like detailing but you have to understand that to do this as a full time income it is much more than just working on cars. I believe if you want to do this as a business you have to love detailing but also have an entrepreneurial spirit to do really well.

Remember that when you do this as a hobbyist you do it for the enjoyment and satisfaction of the work and results. Doing it as a business comes a whole list of outliers and other situations that cause there to be tough days.

I love detailing, and I love my business. That being said, some days it is merely just a job and I can't wait to pull in my driveway and wrestle with my kids a while before they go to bed.