PDA

View Full Version : Newbie To Detailing - Need Products!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MemphisGrizz
05-19-2014, 08:23 PM
History: I own a 2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser and the color of the vehicle is "Brick". It's a maroonish color. I recently purchased a cheap Harbor Freight 7" polisher to to begin learning how to proper care for my vehicle: Here is the link to which polisher I purchase. 7 in. Variable Speed Polisher/Sander (http://www.harborfreight.com/7-in-variable-speed-polishersander-69474.html)

I know there is a lot of information on this website with products and such but I want to make sure I am purchasing the products I am in need of.

Description of my vehicle and what I plan to accomplish:
- Color: Brick
- Remove mild/medium swirls (previous owner used drive-thru car washes)
- Give it a good polish as well as a good wax.

So my question is, what pads will I need for this 7" polisher and what ALL products should I look into. Keep in mind I am a newbie, and I am in the learning process. I don't want to be a cheap ass but I am trying to save a little bit of cash as well.

Sorry if I am missing more information you guys need. If I am missing information, please ask me and I will answer!

Here is a photograph of the color of my paint.

refreshauto
05-19-2014, 09:09 PM
i have never used that machine, so i can give you any info on 7" pads, but i will recommend the following kit below

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-swirl-remover.html)

this is also a good microfiber kit for you to get started

Complete Microfiber Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-towel-kit.html)

and last but not least pads, pads and more pads. at least 6 of each color

MemphisGrizz
05-20-2014, 03:00 AM
Thanks! I will look into that!

Firehouse Mike
05-20-2014, 03:05 AM
I am going to HIGHLY recommend the 6" DA instead of a rotary polisher.
6 in. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher (http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-variable-speed-dual-action-polisher-69924.html)

You will have a much better time with it and if you are new to this whole thing, your paint will thank you too! I'm a bit unfamiliar with the DA, but have heard it's decent for the money. It does need an adapter plate for it i think....someone else here can get you in the right direction for that.

Good Luck, and Enjoy!

Kengo123
05-20-2014, 03:57 AM
Yeah the harbor freight rotary polishers tend to bog down a lot which can mess up the fluid motion that is ideal when using a rotary. Like firehouse mike says, get the dual action model they have there. I own two. With a few tweaks, they are good units.. though they aren't as well constructed as the porter cable and griots DAs

With a dual action polisher, not much technique is required from the start to get a decent finish. A rotary is the opposite. You need a lot of practice before you can be satisfied with the results, and by then you're paint may be painted with holograms and buffer trails - especially with the underpowered HF rotary

My advice.. Return it and get the da (under $60 w/ 20% off coupon)
Buy a 5" backing plate ($15)
Buy meguiars microfiber cutting disks ($20)
Buy a few foam pads for wax (1x) and polishing (3x) ($25)
Buy meguiars ultimate compound, polish, and liquid wax ($50)
Buy a fine grade nanoskin speedy prep sponge ($15)

Nomadsto
05-20-2014, 06:01 AM
Omg! run don't walk to return that polisher. I'm no expert but actually have that same tool. I use it strictly for cleaning pads now. You could do some serious damage fooling around with a rotary for the 1st time. Especially with a coarse low quality unit like that. These guys have got u covered with their replies, take the good advise, and get a DA. Good luck.

MemphisGrizz
05-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Ahhh! Thanks fellas. You've been a lot of help and I will take your advice and return it. Or hell, I may just keep this and go buy the DA. I got this rotary for literally $20.00 from HB so I'm not worried about it.

Again, much appreciated!

Flash Gordon
05-20-2014, 09:29 AM
If you don't mind putting a $150 deposit down I can loan you a brand new HD Griots 6" polisher for a week or so. Or you could get the Harbor Freight DA for around $50 with the coupon

I can throw in a few Meguiars Microfiber Pads, Meguiars 105 Compound and Meguiars 205 Polish to go along with it

What part of town are you in?

thebamboo23
05-20-2014, 09:50 AM
do you have a budget for the supplies needed?

MemphisGrizz
05-20-2014, 12:11 PM
If you don't mind putting a $150 deposit down I can loan you a brand new HD Griots 6" polisher for a week or so. Or you could get the Harbor Freight DA for around $50 with the coupon

I can throw in a few Meguiars Microfiber Pads, Meguiars 105 Compound and Meguiars 205 Polish to go along with it

What part of town are you in?

Hey man that would be awesome! I live in Cordova just a few miles from the Wolfchase Mall. Where are you located?

MemphisGrizz
05-20-2014, 12:12 PM
do you have a budget for the supplies needed?

To be honest, I'm still learning the prices of products. Money is not an issue, but then again I want "quality" products that will teach me how to learn. What do you think is a good budget for all the products and pass I need?

Flash Gordon
05-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Hey man that would be awesome! I live in Cordova just a few miles from the Wolfchase Mall. Where are you located?

I'm in Mid-Town. Drop me an address (PM) and I'll get it to you in a day or two.

What shop is that where the pic was taken. The paint on the wall looks familiar (lol)

To be honest, I'm still learning the prices of products. Money is not an issue, but then again I want "quality" products that will teach me how to learn. What do you think is a good budget for all the products and pass I need?

If $ is not an issue, then make that a $200 deposit and a $40 a day rental fee

j/k dude

thebamboo23
05-20-2014, 02:56 PM
^lmao

do you want equipment/products for exterior only? Or inter and exterior? etc..

MemphisGrizz
05-20-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm in Mid-Town. Drop me an address (PM) and I'll get it to you in a day or two.

What shop is that where the pic was taken. The paint on the wall looks familiar (lol)

If $ is not an issue, then make that a $200 deposit and a $40 a day rental fee

j/k dude

Hahaha! I'm Cordova so it's not too far. I'll shoot you a message when I get home. That shop is in Bartlett at Goodyear

MemphisGrizz
05-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Oh and I need to order products first so maybe next week would be better! Unless I can find some products around here. Do you recommend a place for me to go buy pads and products to detail?