PDA

View Full Version : RV Detailing

gmcsierra
05-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Sometime soon I plan to detail my oxidized fibreglass hard walled RV. I purchased some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. These will be going on by DA followed by a wax. Am I going to do more harm than good, or will it work?

davidc
05-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Sometime soon I plan to detail my oxidized fibreglass hard walled RV. I purchased some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. These will be going on by DA followed by a wax. Am I going to do more harm than good, or will it work?

Get a rotary and wool pads. Your going to be there a long time with a DA.

Dave

gmcsierra
05-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Are normal automotive products such as Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, White Wax, and Gold Class Liquid Wax ok to use?

davidc
05-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Are normal automotive products such as Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, White Wax, and Gold Class Liquid Wax ok to use?

The compounds work well, I personally use Duragloss 601/105 sealant on my 32' fiberglass 5ver as it has held up the best of everything I have tried over the last 20 years. AG also has the Marine line I have read a few good reviews. Some say and I believe to be true that using Automotive wax etc. could turn a white fiberglass yellow which then has some intense compounding to bring the white back.

Dave

gmcsierra
05-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Will the ult compound and ult polish discolor/yellow the fibreglass?

davidc
05-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Will the ult compound and ult polish discolor/yellow the fibreglass?

I have used the compound then washed with Dawn to remove oils then applied 2 coats of sealant. I assume we are speaking of 105/205 compounds. Neither will yellow, they are for cleaning the surface for the final sealant/wax, which ever you choose.

Dave

HateSwirls
05-20-2014, 08:36 PM
The last RV I did I used Meguiar's 105, my rotary and a wool pad.
Much easier and faster than using my DA.
Can you get the job done with a DA?
Yes but it will take a little longer , I'd use the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound if using a DA.

MrOneEyedBoh
05-21-2014, 04:27 AM
What's a good sealant to use on an rv?

HateSwirls
05-21-2014, 05:08 AM
What's a good sealant to use on an rv?

I used the DP Poi-Seal on the last one with good results.
Reason I chose it over the Wolfgang Glossy Paint Sealant was because I needed something that cured fast , the DP cures much faster.