PDA

View Full Version : Help this Dash is driving me crazy

DogRescuer
05-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Im attempting to clean/dress my wifes dash and what the heck am I not doing right. First its a 08 Mountaineer and this dash feels like its rubber it has some give to it can that be?

So I cleaned it with Opti power clean at 10:1 but every time I clean a area and move on the last area looks untouched wthell

Then I sad heck with and tried dressing opti tire gel 3:1 no change in appearance

So I hit it with the gel full strength NOTHING

Could I have damaged the dash by over cleaning?

Is it rubber or plastic and which product would you recommend before I shoot my self?

Anything please.

DogRescuer
05-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Im attempting to clean/dress my wifes dash and what the heck am I not doing right. First its a 08 Mountaineer and this dash feels like its rubber it has some give to it can that be?

So I cleaned it with Opti power clean at 10:1 but every time I clean a area and move on the last area looks untouched wthell

Then I sad heck with and tried dressing opti tire gel 3:1 no change in appearance

So I hit it with the gel full strength NOTHING

Could I have damaged the dash by over cleaning?

Is it rubber or plastic and which product would you recommend before I shoot my self?

Anything please.

Oh thanks

brondondolon
05-19-2014, 03:58 PM
We cant determine what the material is without a picture. Well most of us cant at least.

refreshauto
05-19-2014, 04:07 PM
can you upload a few shots of the dash. if its already clean then i would go over it with a damp microfiber. let it dry then add a layer of protection to it to see if that brings it back.

DogRescuer
05-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Heres 2 picks you can c the streaks that's after cleaning

brondondolon
05-19-2014, 04:13 PM
You say its kinda elastic or has some stretch to it right?

refreshauto
05-19-2014, 04:15 PM
do you have a steamer, that is the only other thing i could suggest.

DogRescuer
05-19-2014, 04:20 PM
You say its kinda elastic or has some stretch to it right?
Yes sir some give its not hard

brondondolon
05-19-2014, 04:33 PM
It might be leather but since its a ford it might be a rubber coated fabric to simulate leather.

So when you clean it does it look like the area is clean while its still wet?

as refreshauto said a steamer will probably be your best bet. Does the area look like its stained? Or does it look like its dry and dirty?

DogRescuer
05-19-2014, 04:39 PM
It might be leather but since its a ford it might be a rubber coated fabric to simulate leather.

So when you clean it does it look like the area is clean while its still wet?

as refreshauto said a steamer will probably be your best bet. Does the area look like its stained? Or does it look like its dry and dirty?

Clean while iys wet and yes there is a lot of leather elsewhere HMMMMM

brondondolon
05-19-2014, 04:44 PM
This is really bizarre. Do you have access to a steamer? The contaminants might be embedded into the leather. Assuming its leather a steamer will open the pores some what allowing the contaminant to be extracted. Can you determine what the stain may be?

DogRescuer
05-19-2014, 05:43 PM
This is really bizarre. Do you have access to a steamer? The contaminants might be embedded into the leather. Assuming its leather a steamer will open the pores some what allowing the contaminant to be extracted. Can you determine what the stain may be?

I can steam it. Maybe it is leather.

jamesboyy
05-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Sorry to be noisy or anything but its most likely clear coated vinyl material on a sponge like base to simulate leather

DogRescuer
05-20-2014, 06:18 AM
Sorry to be noisy or anything but its most likely clear coated vinyl material on a sponge like base to simulate leather

Thanks can someone help me and tell me what to use to protect and dress it please?

jamesboyy
05-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Since this dash has a grain to it I would use a all purpose cleaner and brush to thoroughly agitate and clean out all the material then I would use a couple of coats of trim dressing then knock down the shine a bit (leveling out the high spots) you may have to use a light to see the high spots of the dressing I personally use a chemical guys new car shine dressing for the fact that its water based and has UV protection in it through any water based dressing should do the trick