PDA

View Full Version : Is there an interior detailing HOW-TO (i.e. using a wet/dry vac?)

m4gician
07-23-2007, 09:57 PM
I actually am looking for a how-to on perfect interior detailing. From carpet to seats, vinyl to leather, and everything in between. Is there any advice or info on using a shop vac effectively? Cleaning everything properly?

D
07-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Interiors really arent that hard, but can be time consuming. Your basic products are a cleaner, leather conditioner, and dressing. I use DP total interior cleaner on everything, Pinnacle or 4* leather conditioner, and DP interior protectant right now. Got some extra brushes, wet/ dry vac, odor eliminator, and a brush on my PC for carpets.

I basically just go through with my cleaner and MF spray stuff down and scrub. Vacuum everything up, dress everything, do the glass and its done. Nothing fancy here. But I havent ran into an interior like TexasTB.

pt91
07-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Carpets to me are the most difficult to master. So many different stains and chemicals/processes involved. The best info I have found comes from pro carpet cleaners. They do it every day.
I don't have a specific link that covers everything but I can say that interiors be as challenging as paint correction.
We/clients spend a lot more time inside our cars than looking at the exterior so I try really hard to make interiors as perfect as possible.
I used a wet/dry vac for a while to clean carpets and interiors and finally upgraded to a hot water extractor and industrial steamer. Both were worth the money and then some.
I spent 11 hours yesterday on a three year old Suburban that had never been cleaned. He has 4 kids and 2 dogs. He only wanted the interior work and I understand why. Gum, lipstick, every food you can imagine and many different stains. It was the most challenging detail I have ever tackled.

TOGWT
07-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Using a Carpet Extractor:
An extraction system process is the choice of professional detailers due to its cost effectiveness, performance efficiency and time saving over conventional methods. Extractors work by using a cleaning solution dispensed from a tank that heats the solution to 200oF+ and is sprayed at medium pressure (50 PSI +) and a high volume from the machine via a cleaning wand; it is then filtered and re-circulated.

Extraction also allows the ability to remove cleaning residues due to its high suction power (100-inch water gauge +). Rinsed fabrics look and smell cleaner and resist soiling better. I know ‘lesser’ machines may give the appearance of a clean interior, but in reality, the soil is being migrated the bottom of the carpet, this dampened soil will cause mould / mildew formation as the suction lift on lesser machines is pretty much non-existent. Mould uses enzymes to digest nutrients from organic materials, the mould forms on top of the material and also down into its fibres leaving circular or black spots in an irregular pattern Dirt and moisture are essential to mildew propagation.

Pre-cleaner-
a) Organic stain removal- quarter (1/4) cup Protein Stain Remover (topoftheline.com) / 1-cup 303™ Cleaner & Spot Remover / one gallon hot water let dwell for 5-10 minutes to enable cleaners to react
b) Other stain removal- 10:1 distilled hot water/ P21S Total Auto Wash, let solution dwell for 5-10 minutes to enable cleaners to react

Methodology
· Use a rubber bristle brush go over the material to raise the fibres
· Vacuum area very thoroughly (Metro Vac N' Blo®) to lift all the loose dirt from the carpet Remove any stains with 303™ Spot Remover & Cleaner
· Spot treat really bad stains (303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover or Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet Foam)

Use a pre-cleaner solution, 10:1 distilled hot water/ P21S Total Auto Wash, let solution dwell for 5-10 minutes to enable cleaners to react
After sufficient dwell time agitate pre cleaner solution with an upholstery brush to ‘scrub’ surfaces
Use a carpet extractor to clean and remove liquid and dirt. (Vapour Clean Products T5 Extractor / Spotter®)· Use a 16:1 solution clean distilled hot water / Hoover Deep Cleansing Carpet/Upholstery Detergent or 303™ Cleaner & Spot Remover

Use a rubber bristle brush go over the material to raise the fibres
The next step would be to use its high-volume vacuum, in one direction only (do not scrub) to remove the excess moisture and grime, immediately recovering it.
Allow carpets / mats to thoroughly dry before use
Once fabric is dry apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard) Notes:
1. Use the hottest water available it also helps to pre-spray the carpet with hot water when hand cleaning carpets / mats
2. Run a 2:1 solution distilled water / distilled white vinegar thru the extractor either weekly, or after every ten fresh fills. Vinegar, contains Acetic acid, an organic carboxylic that will help eliminate scale, mild mineral deposits etc. from clogging your extractor.
3. Rug Renew from top of the line can revive stained or dirty fabric’s, you can use its super-concentrated formula diluted 5:1 with Distilled water as a spot remover, or dilute 20:1 in your extractor. http://www.topoftheline.com
4. Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover - http://www.folexcompany.com/
5. Odour removal- add 4 ounces Door Terminator to each gallon of extractor solution. Clean interior glass after use to prevent spotting. (http://www.autoint.com (http://www.autoint.com/) )

Information Resource: Carpet cleaning is based upon methods recommended by the Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning Institute (CUCI)

Jay Laub
07-26-2007, 12:26 PM
i use a wet/dry vac to vacuum the whole thing out. then i shampoo the carpets, its not really called a carpet extractor, but serves the same purpose. you add hot water to the tank and use their solutions(which to me work as well or better than anything else ive seen) my grandparents had one in their house that they never used, so one day i found the hand attatchment tried it and have used it ever since. Steam cleaners, carpet and hard floor cleaner cleans mold dust, controls allergy, removes stains. Try the Oreck Rinse-a-matic Steemer Ultra. (http://oreck.com/floor-cleaners/rinse-a-matic_ultra.cfm)

i also use a leather cleaner and a protectant on the dash, the car usually smells clean because of the oreck solution, if not use just a little bit of ozium and close the doors for 5 minutes.