PDA

View Full Version : pH on some APC

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Nica
07-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Pure stuff is 7.42
10:1 is 7.23

So um...um....what does it mean? Good? Bad?

Sorry electricity is my thing :o

D
07-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Its about the same as DP total interior cleaner diluted 1:1. Basing off the pH level alone, Woolite 10:1 is okay to use on leather. But Al brought up a good point that Id like to look into further.

sparkie
07-28-2007, 09:53 PM

Sorry Carlos, just seen this...
It's all good!!:D
When a pH is around 7 it's good and very safe.

Nica
07-28-2007, 11:33 PM
oh..okay sorry I read it again and now I see what you mean hahaha :D

Thanks for sharing bro.

TOGWT
08-21-2007, 12:57 AM
A few examples of maximum acid strength might be helpful:
Acid rain has a pH of 3.5-4.0.
Bird excrement contain highly acidic concentrates of uric acid (pH 3.0-4.5)
Sea water has pH of 7.75 to 8.25
Tap water has a pH of between 5.5 and 6.5

Organic acids
Citric acid, found in citrus fruits has a pH of 2.0
Oxalic acid, found in spinach has a pH of 1.8
Vinegar has a pH of 2.0

‘Weak’ mineral acids
Hydrofluoric acid has a pH of 3.14
Phosphoric acid has pH of 2.2

‘Strong’ mineral acids
Hydrochloric acid, aka Muriatic acid has a pH of 0.1 @ 1N (indicates concentration)
Sulphuric acid, battery acid, has a pH of 0 .32 @ 1N

A couple of things to note from this list are;
a) How very strong ‘strong acids’ are
b) How relatively weak yet dangerous hydrofluoric acid is
c) And how small and misleading the difference is between organicacids and weak mineral acids. As an example, hydrofluoric acid (HF), one of the most highly regulated, most dangerous acids and the only acid that will dissolve glass is a weak acid.

Dilution - the addition of a molecule of water to a chemical compound, without forming any other products is known as hydration (i.e. dilution causes the pH to decrease)

sneek
08-21-2007, 02:10 AM

haha, Lucky for you I think that is how some pH testers work. I think that there is a current that passes through a probe and then through the aqueous solution to the next probe, then there is a chip that determines resistance.
ahhh Chemistry has come back to haunt me, even though I did extremely well on my exams.

Thejoyofdriving
08-21-2007, 05:01 AM
I would like to get one of those probes, right now I use a wide range PH indicator, its cheap but not very accurate and it is affected by the color
of the solution.

sneek
08-21-2007, 05:54 PM
I would like to get one of those probes, right now I use a wide range PH indicator, its cheap but not very accurate and it is affected by the color
of the solution.

I don't think that they are that expensive. I think that they are about $30 plus however much the calibration solution costs.

fredcandetail
09-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Higher PH = more basic. Lower PH = more acidic

Usually soaps are basic (base is identified with "slipperyness"). The more basic the product is, basically the better it cleans. This is not always a good thing (could discolor the surface, dry out the surface, etc). The lower the pH is, the more acidic it is (most wheel cleaners will be acidic, to disolve the brake dust). Again, too acidic and you risk discoloring the finish, etching the surface, etc.

I clean most leather at 6:1 APC and can only assume the ph is way higher ... So as Megs is the higher It cleans better but can also discolor and dry out leather ...cornfused:eek::eek::confused:

CEE DOG
09-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Woo hoo! Cool test! I hadn't seen this before

rwright
09-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Old but very interesting thread. Kind of funny to see the familiar names that are on other boards now. Wonder why they stopped posting here?

Sent using Tapatalk