PDA

View Full Version : 3m rubbing compound (1) on DA polisher

tech69
05-18-2014, 11:57 AM
I am trying to implement a DA polisher into my procedures and use it after I compound with a rotary and right before I polish. I was thinking a white pad with 3m compound (purple bottle) would do the trick, being that it's the only compound we have other than Meg's 85 diamond cut. The issue I'm having is that after I do a pass on the DA polisher the compound seems really hard to wipe off the surface. I read that the 3m line is only meant for rotary buffer due to the chemical reaction cut it provides. Is this a real issue or is my surface too dirty? Not sure what to make of it. We use Glassurit clear on the hot rods, no bake cycle and wait about 2-3 weeks before buffing. On our production jobs we use a cheap Transtar /Euro clear and wait only 1-3 days before cutting and rubbing. Any advice appreciated.

hernandez.art13
05-18-2014, 12:39 PM
I've used 3M on a DA to polish. I found it worked good, but not as great as Meguiars or Menzerna.

You should try Meguiars M205 for the polishing while using a DA after you cut the sanding marks with the Rotary.

There is a video of Mike Phillips doing this.

Let me see if I can find it. (I'm on my phone) Lol

hernandez.art13
05-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Also I would like to add that since you are using 3M you might have to cut and polish on the rotary. Then switch to a DA and just polish or you might even have to cut and polish using the DA too.

It all varies, and brands, products, skill, technique, etc... come into play IMO.

So just let the paint talk to you and go after the shine with whatever you have at your disposal.

Just trying to help and good luck,

Art

Here is the video:

Part 1: How to Wetsand, Cut & Buff Custom Paint: http://youtu.be/_i_rmKAUa1Y

WAXOFF
05-18-2014, 02:26 PM
I just used 3M rubbing compound #1 in the puple bottle on the Camary I'm currently working on today. It has a few deeper scratches and I'm using my PC today instead of the Flex 3401. Came our fine and them polished it after CG GLAZE & WAX SUPER FINISH WET SHINE DEEP REFLECTION (http://www.chemicalguys.com/GLAZE_WAX_SUPER_FINISH_WET_SHINE_DEEP_REFLECTION_p/gap_321.htm)

hernandez.art13
05-18-2014, 02:31 PM
^ Yep I find it works fine on a DA, just doesn't finish out as nicely but has a good amount of cut.

tech69
05-18-2014, 11:53 PM
cool, thanks guys. I'll give it another shot. Maybe I was pressing down on the buffer to hard. Will mark my pad next time out.