PDA

View Full Version : Polishing - White Balls Flying Everywhere?

ARizzle
05-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Hey there guys,

I am working on a friend's car, and I am using Menzerna FF3000 with an Orange LC Flat Pad.

When I am polishing the door, occasionally there are little white balls that fly from the pad. Any ideas why this is happening?

Should I be misting the pad after each section on a panel with a Quick Detailer?

Thanks!

wdmaccord
05-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Sounds like you didn't prime the pad or you have too much heat or both? Are you cleaning the pad between sections? If not, that can cause spent polish and clear coat material to build up on the pad and fling off when you polish the next section when you add heat and rotation.

ARizzle
05-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Sounds like you didn't prime the pad or you have too much heat or both? Are you cleaning the pad between sections? If not, that can cause spent polish and clear coat material to build up on the pad and fling off when you polish the next section when you add heat and rotation.

I cleaned the pad on my Pad Washer bucket before I used it.

I am using Speed 6 (Max Speed on my PC). Every 2x2 section on the door I am spritzing it with water.

Is Speed 6 too much?

Vegas Transplant
05-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Too much product and maybe too high of a speed for PC would be my guess. OPM's generating heat which dries product prematurely to the pad, rather than allowing product to work itself and breakdown.

mikesal57
05-18-2014, 12:15 PM
What works for me...

with a new pad...

Put an "X" of your product on pad and massage it in all over pad...
Then add 3 small dots of product in a triangle ...
Dab pad on your 2 x 2 foot area..
Spread on speed #1
Now do your 6 passes within the 2 x 2 speed 5 or 6...
After your satisfied and before you move to next area , I did a "On the fly" cleaning of pad

Then put another 3 dots and continue...

This stopped my dusting and keeps getting too much product on pad

Good Luck

ARizzle
05-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys, so I'm guessing what I am describing is calling "dusting"?

Also, as mentioned before, after every panel, I go to my pad washer, clean the pad, and then am ready to work on the next body panel. My question is, when working on a new panel, do I still have to prime the pad (spread the product with my fingers on the pad, or can I just add the 3 little circles in a triangle formation?)

Rsurfer
05-18-2014, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=ARizzle;1104034]Thanks guys, so I'm guessing what I am describing is calling "dusting"?

No you don't have dusting, you have the case of spit balls.]:buffing:

HUMP DIESEL
05-18-2014, 02:57 PM
If you are at a door and go over the door seam, it can do this as well, like sticking your finger in the pad while it is rotating.

HUMP

57BORNTORUN
05-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Prime the edges of your pad where it meets the backing plate.Maybe that will help.

TrolleyVW
05-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys, so I'm guessing what I am describing is calling "dusting"?

Also, as mentioned before, after every panel, I go to my pad washer, clean the pad, and then am ready to work on the next body panel. My question is, when working on a new panel, do I still have to prime the pad (spread the product with my fingers on the pad, or can I just add the 3 little circles in a triangle formation?)

If you use a pad washer that I am picturing, isn't the pad still moist?

Moisture left over in the pad from washing will "attract" heat toward the center of the pad due to centrifugal force and create one heck of a time polishing. I know this from experience.

stilltipping3
05-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Hey there guys,

I am working on a friend's car, and I am using Menzerna FF3000 with an Orange LC Flat Pad.

When I am polishing the door, occasionally there are little white balls that fly from the pad. Any ideas why this is happening?

Should I be misting the pad after each section on a panel with a Quick Detailer?

Thanks!

Ur pad is dirty or caked with product! Clean it or change it and it will all be ok. :props:

irsankao
05-19-2014, 11:03 AM
Should I be misting the pad after each section on a panel with a Quick Detailer? -> NO, this is why you have those tiny balls. Only first time when the pad is new, 1 spray is enough, 2 sometimes it's too wet already. Then prime the pad with product with X or circle after that just put 2-3 small dots. FF3000 is a nice product, long working time, cuts and finish well. You don't need to worry about dusting with FF3000, it's very minimal.

The FF is caking and the pad is damped or just too much moisture so it created that tiny balls.

If you use pad washer, I think it's best if you rotate the pad. Let's say do 2 panels, clean in pad washer, spin it so you have least amount of water then keep it away to it dries a little bit. Use clean pad, prime it again then start working on 3rd panels and so on. I usually use 2-3 pads in a car, a normal car not full of embedded dirts.