PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's Ultimate paste have gas scent?

370zdude
05-18-2014, 10:15 AM
So I noticed after fully waxing my car with Meguiar's paste and then running the application pad through hot water to clean it off I could smell a slight gas scent. I instantly began to worry that I may have swiped over gas residue when I had a gas spill on my bumper and cleaned and waxed right after. I waxed my entire car since that happen so I'm worried I did more harm to it than protection if there is some gas trapped inside the pad while I waxed it. Anyone else notice there wax has kinda a harsh gas type smell to it when running a used application pad through water? I'm just hoping it' s a normal smell and I didn't get gas in the pad.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

GreatAvalon
05-18-2014, 10:27 AM
I've never smelled gas from mine.

stephent007
05-18-2014, 10:27 AM
I have not noticed that, I find upw has a nice scent even after washing it out of the applicator. I did use a separate foam applicator however, not the one included in the package.

IMHO I don't think the small amount of gasoline that could have possibly contaminated your pad would affect the paint. I could be wrong though, wait for opinions from someone more experienced.

hernandez.art13
05-18-2014, 10:35 AM
I think as long as you didn't dump gallons and gallons of gas on your paint then applied wax you shouldn't be to worried.

If anything just rewash the car and hope that removed the gasoline residue. Or if anything strip off the wax and reapply it.

But no Megs UPW has a wonderful smell to it IMO

370zdude
05-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Well if anything I think the scent was stuck in the pad before I even started waxing the car, so my OCD self is worried that while I applied the wax over my whole car I was basically whipping gas with it too, instantly removing any effect the wax has and possibly straining the paint as well. No one notices like a sorta strong chemical smell, like faintly gas or nail polish type smell, when they soak the used applicator pad? I'm hoping it's some other chemical I'm smelling that I'm mistaking for gasoline.

swanicyouth
05-18-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm wondering if your smelling the solvent in the wax? I've never used this particular "wax", but my guess is it has some type of solvent in it that isn't a fancy fruit extract or whatnot.

Does it smell like gasoline or more like kerosene?

370zdude
05-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Do they both have a similar smell to each other? This could be the case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

370zdude
05-20-2014, 10:34 AM
So I know gas evaporates fast. My question is if say you spill some gas on your fender, the next day will it have evaporated without any scent remaining? Reason I'm asking is because after I spilled it on my fender, I whipped it with water and soap, and then the next day applied the wax. Even if I did miss a spot where some gas residue was left over, would it even be possible to have whipped over it with my applicator pad the next day or would it have completely evaporated by then?