PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever you this???

LRC3
05-17-2014, 06:22 PM
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N3301A/large/10675396_dpl_cm541_pri_larg.jpg

I ran across this and wondered if anyone has tried this product to remove old wax before adding new? I'm looking to move from carnauba to a sealant (M21) and wanted to start clean.

I'm actually leaning toward Griots paint prep, that looks like the safest bet.

After researching I really didn't getting the warm and fuzzes with adding degreasers to soap, dawn, alcohol, etc. I even read Mike's thread about alcohol, and at the end he didn't give a 100% stamp of approval either. I see black can be tricky, so just wanted to play it safe.

Back story, I clayed,105, 205, Meg's gold about 2 months ago. Turned out great considering a noob on black paint.

SirFerret
05-17-2014, 08:32 PM
I would not use that on finished paint. It is really designed for like prepping a raw surface for painting.

The easiest and cheapest was I use to remove wax is to wash your car with Dawn Original Dish Soap. It is a mild degreaser that will easily break down all the wax and dirt your normal wash will not take off.

jamesboyy
05-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Dawn will mask the beading effects of your current LSP making you think that you stripped the wax though you could use chemical guys citrus wash and gloss or citrus wash and clear also don't forget to clay bar the paintwork too

MrOneEyedBoh
05-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Just get klean strip prep all or Dupont prep Sol. Done.

EVOlved
05-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Use a paint cleaner plenty of them out there Sonax, PBL, Detailers, etc..

57BORNTORUN
05-17-2014, 10:14 PM
I would not use that on finished paint. It is really designed for like prepping a raw surface for painting.

The easiest and cheapest was I use to remove wax is to wash your car with Dawn Original Dish Soap. It is a mild degreaser that will easily break down all the wax and dirt your normal wash will not take off.
You are correct Sir.Those products are used with special lint towels to clean metal and primered surfaces.

stephent007
05-17-2014, 10:47 PM
To avoid all the things you stated I think a paint cleaner will be your best bet. Although meguiars gold class wax isn't difficult to remove so i would just add some apc in the wash solution (0.5oz/gallon). I've never used griots paint prep, sorry.

spiralout462
05-17-2014, 11:17 PM
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N3301A/large/10675396_dpl_cm541_pri_larg.jpg

I ran across this and wondered if anyone has tried this product to remove old wax before adding new? I'm looking to move from carnauba to a sealant (M21) and wanted to start clean.

I'm actually leaning toward Griots paint prep, that looks like the safest bet.

After researching I really didn't getting the warm and fuzzes with adding degreasers to soap, dawn, alcohol, etc. I even read Mike's thread about alcohol, and at the end he didn't give a 100% stamp of approval either. I see black can be tricky, so just wanted to play it safe.

Back story, I clayed,105, 205, Meg's gold about 2 months ago. Turned out great considering a noob on black paint.

If you're comfortable using M205 I would use that with a black pad before sealing with M21. That will ensure that all wax and contaminates are removed and a clean surface is ready for the sealant. Even if your paint is 100% defect free a quick polish should squeeze out some gloss and accomplish what you are looking for. For a panel prep/IPA substitute I really like GTechniq Panel Wipe.

There is a good chance there is not much if any wax left on your car after two months. Claying may be effective at removing anything remaining.