PDA

View Full Version : Swirl mark removal

Bry
05-17-2014, 05:49 AM
Hi All, I want to get out these swirl marks, I don't have any experience with this at all. I tried using a black CC pad with
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 and it didn't seem to touch it.

What do you recommend I do? Feed back please

MikeC78
05-17-2014, 06:05 AM
I'm no expert, but you need a heavier polish and not a glaze. Since you like Meg's, try a 205 to start and see what you got, if that doesn't touch it, use the 105. IPA wipe, than follow up with your glaze and finally some sort of sealant.

skubasteve!
05-17-2014, 07:23 AM
What kind of vehicle? Are you using a machine or hand polishing? What products/pads do you have? Did you clay? Need many more details in order to help you out.

Just02896
05-17-2014, 07:31 AM
What kind of vehicle? Are you using a machine or hand polishing? What products/pads do you have? Did you clay? Need many more details in order to help you out.

^^^This^^^

Would be helpful to know what you have at your disposal.

Bry
05-17-2014, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't clay the car. I used Iron-X, it is a Infiniti Malbec Black.
I washed the car and then used the Iron-X. Used the buffer with the black pad with the #9, I didn't use the XMT#3 thought it might be to harsh.

Equipment

7424 buffer
Orange, Black, White Pads
Pinnacle XMT #3
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #9 Swirl Remover 2.0

Bry
05-18-2014, 06:26 AM
I need some recommendations what to get for a pad, to remove the marks.

Anyone have suggestions on what Clay to use.

MattPersman
05-18-2014, 06:39 AM
In you our black pad a polishing pad? How many passes on your test spot? What is your arm speed like.

You need to fool around with a test spot first to try to get the correction you want.

Bry
05-18-2014, 07:14 AM
It is a Lake view CCS grey pad, polishing. I would say I am moving it back and forth pretty quick, I didn't want to overdue it.

SirFerret
05-18-2014, 07:20 AM
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUHRnHsSXZU]Part 1 - How to remove swirls, scratches and water spots using a Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher - YouTube[/video]

Very good info in this video series. Make note of the technique and arm speed, as it is one of the most important factors in a good paint correction.

MattPersman
05-18-2014, 07:32 AM
Yes you need slow arm speed, a PC is not very powerful a polishing pad with a very low cut polish isn't gonna do much correction. You can lay on a PC as long as the pad is rotating and it's not a big deal you don't have to fly through the panel thinking damage will occur if you go too slow. Try to XMt on the orange pad in a test spot followed by the #9 on the grey pad see how that goes.

poweraid
05-18-2014, 07:55 AM
#9 supposedly has no abrasives in it . so on that matter if u need to level out defects u need to use a product with abrasives and correct pad to do so . test spot for effectiveness . basically #9 is a paint cleanser/glaze if U ask me . just because a product has " polish - glaze - swirl remover " in its name , means nothing , there are products that are say a little head scratching to what they actually are .

Meg's mirror glaze is a product line - has nothing to do with it being a glaze for that matter .

irsankao
05-19-2014, 11:16 AM
I don't think that's a swirl mark, probably swirl mark but deeper swirl mark. You want to up the aggressiveness of the product. #9 is light and.

See this chart of autopia, polish chart (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/paint-correction-gloss-enhancement/38719-updated-autopia-car-care-polish-comparison-chart.html)

#9 is only 3, popular #205 is at 5 and yet it's a polishing compound so rating 3 is I call it light polishing compound.

First, I would suggest use XMT #3 with orange light cutting pad and watch the video on of Mike does it with the PC. PC is harmless machine. Then follow with #9 with white polishing pad.

refreshauto
05-19-2014, 11:55 AM
I don't think that's a swirl mark, probably swirl mark but deeper swirl mark. You want to up the aggressiveness of the product. #9 is light and.

See this chart of autopia, polish chart (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/paint-correction-gloss-enhancement/38719-updated-autopia-car-care-polish-comparison-chart.html)

#9 is only 3, popular #205 is at 5 and yet it's a polishing compound so rating 3 is I call it light polishing compound.

First, I would suggest use XMT #3 with orange light cutting pad and watch the video on of Mike does it with the PC. PC is harmless machine. Then follow with #9 with white polishing pad.

:iagree:

brondondolon
05-19-2014, 01:04 PM
those are some pretty good scratches. Id pick up some wolfgang total swril removal 3.0 and use it with your orange pad. Slow your arm speed and apply pressure while buffing. That should remove them at the least 75% if not more.

Ive tried megs #9 and it didnt do much for me either. IMO the black pad is to soft for those scratches.

kelvinwo
05-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Listening of swirl marks i remember years ago as a teenager i used a brillow pad to wash my brother's car one time to remove tar and bugs on the hood thinking it went well underneath the soap bubbles. guess what happened when the car was dried.