PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay cleaning, hot vs cold

Pages : [1] 2

PremierAuto_NJ
05-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Just a funny observation I felt like sharing. A few years back when I was learning how to detail I was taught that when cleaning the engine bay to have the engine running during. I was told the heat would seal off the vulnerable compartments by making any water turn to steam before entering. I was taught this method by a very successful detailer who made a great living working on almost entirely exotic cars. Now granted that I have my own business and am liable to any damage, I only detail cold engines and am very careful. But I just find it interesting that I detailed at least 50 running engines when I was younger and never caused any damage, and they turned out exceptionally clean. What do you guys think? With all the reading I have been doing everyone states that you will damage the wiring or the engine components in some way.

wdmaccord
05-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Before I took up detailing, and started reading here on AG, I would take my cars to the self-serve and leave them running. Spray on degreaser, let it soak, high pressure rinse and spot free rinse. I left the car running because I didn't want to not be able to start it sitting in the bay. Never had any problems, but I don't do it that way now.

Just02896
05-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Just a funny observation I felt like sharing. A few years back when I was learning how to detail I was taught that when cleaning the engine bay to have the engine running during. I was told the heat would seal off the vulnerable compartments by making any water turn to steam before entering. I was taught this method by a very successful detailer who made a great living working on almost entirely exotic cars. Now granted that I have my own business and am liable to any damage, I only detail cold engines and am very careful. But I just find it interesting that I detailed at least 50 running engines when I was younger and never caused any damage, and they turned out exceptionally clean. What do you guys think? With all the reading I have been doing everyone states that you will damage the wiring or the engine components in some way.

I never spray water on a running engine. There's always the possibility of the air intake or PCV system sucking water in. And there's also the possibility of causing a short by spraying water into electrical while it's in use. A cold engine will allow much more dwell time for APC and degreasers. I degrease, rinse, blow dry, and then run the engine to operating temp with the hood closed to finish off the drying process.

PremierAuto_NJ
05-16-2014, 05:29 PM
I never spray water on a running engine. There's always the possibility of the air intake or PCV system sucking water in. And there's also the possibility of causing a short by spraying water into electrical while it's in use. A cold engine will allow much more dwell time for APC and degreasers. I degrease, rinse, blow dry, and then run the engine to operating temp with the hood closed to finish off the drying process.
I should have added that even in my inexperience I never sprayed the alternator or near the intake. But yeah I just think back on the expensive cars I worked on and gringe over the damage I could have caused!

allenk4
05-16-2014, 05:40 PM
I do believe that the ability to damage a modern car engine with a consumer grade pressure washer, using a fan tip, at normal distances from the surfaces is greatly overstated.

When I was in HS, I worked for a production detailer for about a week.

We used a very high-pressure PW. It would cut a cinder block with the pinpoint tip. We used it to power wash engines, while running.

That being said...on work trucks that were going to the wholesaler, we would sometimes power wash the INSIDE of the vehicle.

Has anyone seen an engine damaged by a consumer grade or coin-op PW?

PremierAuto_NJ
05-16-2014, 06:04 PM
I do believe that the ability to damage a modern car engine with a consumer grade pressure washer, using a fan tip, at normal distances from the surfaces is greatly overstated.

When I was in HS, I worked for a production detailer for about a week.

We used a very high-pressure PW. It would cut a cinder block with the pinpoint tip. We used it to power wash engines, while running.

That being said...on work trucks that were going to the wholesaler, we would sometimes power wash the INSIDE of the vehicle.

Has anyone seen an engine damaged by a consumer grade or coin-op PW?
Thats what I am saying! I see some rag tag operations as well as professionals use a power washer. I just use gentle hose water and degreaser. Someone told me that "experts" don't give modern engines the credit they deserve on durability and resilience.

beamerstrumpet
05-16-2014, 07:45 PM
I was hoping for some good answers here myself as I have just been doing everything by hand with APC and gentle water flow from a hose. while it works, there is some deep down hard to get places I miss. This is on my own car and have not charged anyone for the service yet.

VP Mark
05-16-2014, 08:13 PM
I have done hundreds of engine bays. 90% of them have been done by spraying with degreaser, agitating, spraying off with high pressure, then dressing. In all that time had a slight problem in one 70s model truck that was easily remedied with a little compressed air. Modern engines are pretty fool proof.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

MichaelD1990
05-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Working at a volvo dealership and Chevrolet dealership as a detailer, we would degrease the engine bay and pressure wash them clean and not think twice about it.

Although these were mainly new cars so we didnt have to worry too much about damaging anything.

AeroCleanse
05-16-2014, 08:48 PM
I would never clean an engine that was running, too much personal risk. Hot or cold, doesn't matter.

Just02896
05-16-2014, 09:39 PM
I would never clean an engine that was running, too much personal risk. Hot or cold, doesn't matter.

That's my take as well. Why risk such liability?

57BORNTORUN
05-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Warm maybe but hot...not so much.Most exhaust manifolds are cast iron and what happens when a liquid meets hot cast iron? Potential to crack them.

FUNX650
05-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Now granted that I have my own business and am liable to any damage,
I only detail cold engines and am very careful.

• Ever faithfully follow the directions on how
to use Gunk to clean an engine/engine bay?
-Warm; Cold; Warm; then Hot. :eek:

• How cold is too cold?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ5Rsz4oveE]Miracle Detail - Engine bay cleaning and detailing with the Polar jet machine and dry ice. - YouTube[/video]

Bob

PremierAuto_NJ
05-16-2014, 11:57 PM
• Ever faithfully follow the directions on how
to use Gunk to clean an engine/engine bay?
-Warm; Cold; Warm; then Hot. :eek:

• How cold is too cold?

Miracle Detail - Engine bay cleaning and detailing with the Polar jet machine and dry ice. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ5Rsz4oveE)

Bob
Should have said cool instead of cold, thanks for the share!

AeroCleanse
05-17-2014, 12:04 AM
That's my take as well. Why risk such liability?

I'm more worried about getting myself hurt if the engine is running.