PDA

View Full Version : Exaggerated car paint coating?

spinz
05-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Firstly i hope i'm not breaking any rules by posting this, but one thing has always been haunted me - The place where i live are full of exaggerated car paint coatings. :(

One of them claim their paint coating as:
- The world's hardest car coating with hardness of up to 12H. In a video they used a pen knife to scratch the paint, then they just used a cloth to wipe off the scratches. (Let me know if anyone wants to watch the video, will be happy to share the link via private message.)
- Coating that contains Titanium.
- Anti-Scratch, Anti-Stonechip, Anti-Rust.
- Never to polish, never to wax again.
- No more watermark, staining and swirl lines.

I highly doubt the truth of the claims above. Because even the top coatings like Opticoat/CQuartz never claimed their coatings to be that "invincible".

Here is what concerns me. I'm only a weekend warrior and i don't know what should i say when my customers compared the car paint coating that i used(Opticoat 2.0/Black Label Diamond Paint Coating) with all the other "invincible" car paint coatings. It was like i know those paint coatings are possibly exaggerated but i couldn't say anything about that.

I really need some opinions...

10secdream
05-16-2014, 02:56 PM
At the end of the day CQuartz, Opticoat, PBL and others have been tried and tested by thousands of installers and users. If such a superior product did exist then surely we would be using them. I would just be honest with my customers and stand behind what you install.

Just02896
05-16-2014, 03:16 PM
At the end of the day CQuartz, Opticoat, PBL and others have been tried and tested by thousands of installers and users. If such a superior product did exist then surely we would be using them. I would just be honest with my customers and stand behind what you install.

:iagree:

goldenlight
05-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Untill I see an ametuer youtube video demonstrating t The list above, Im not gonna believe the hype. I'll stick with old school.

VP Mark
05-16-2014, 04:13 PM
I always tell people I'm an Opti-Coat Pro installer because if there was anything better on the market, I would be selling it.

Blackthorn One
05-16-2014, 04:54 PM
White paint has titanium in it. White paint is the hardest because of it.
There will never be a scratch proof or chip proof coating or paint. It's impossible.
Never to polish again? Depends upon your standards.
Never wax again? Maybe.
No more watermarks or stains? Maybe.
No more swirls? Maybe. Depends upon how harsh the abrasives are.

FUNX650
05-16-2014, 05:00 PM
•Stay with the Coatings you currently use.

•It's an uphill battle trying to dispel the often duplicitous
marketing-hype of Coatings' manufacturers/resellers.

•Just curious:
-Isn't Meguiar's M188 Coating available to you guys in Malaysia?
{It's supposed to have been specially formulated for your climate.}
-If so: Have you used it yet? Thanks.

Bob

silverfox
05-17-2014, 03:37 AM
I'd hardly call any product that can easily be removed with a finishing polish...invincible.

The marketing hype surrounding coatings is quite amusing. Heck, you can easily get a year out of a sealant like DG 105 and frankly you're likely to polish off and reapply a coating long before it's theoretical expiration date (coatings get swirls and scratches too) so even the longevity claims in most cases are a moot point.

Having said that, coatings are unsurpassed in being the best sacrificial barrier at the current time coupled with uncanny dirt and water repelling ability.

spinz
05-20-2014, 12:03 PM
•Stay with the Coatings you currently use.

•It's an uphill battle trying to dispel the often duplicitous
marketing-hype of Coatings' manufacturers/resellers.

•Just curious:
-Isn't Meguiar's M188 Coating available to you guys in Malaysia?
{It's supposed to have been specially formulated for your climate.}
-If so: Have you used it yet? Thanks.

Bob

To be honest i haven't heard about M188 before this.
I just did a Google search and found out this coating has been widely used in Malaysia.
However I still prefer Optimum/PBL coatings.

KillaCam
05-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Isn't 10H the hardness of a diamond?