PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Spray Wax after weekly wash-overkill?

Pages : [1] 2

creaky
05-15-2014, 10:34 AM
I've been using Aquawax spray wax as a drying aid to help increase the protection on my wife's daily driver. I notice that Optimum spray wax claims up to 5 months protection. While that might be a stretch, I'm intrigued by the longevity claims, especially since sometimes things happen and I have to skip a week of washing here and there. So, I'm wondering if there are any downsides to using Optimum Spray Wax weekly as an protection enhancer vs. Aquawax.

Thanks.

Setec Astronomy
05-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Optimum Car Wax has a patented UV inhibitor (I'm not sure the inhibitor is patented but the way it's used is). IMO OCW is not as easy to use as Aquawax (AW), but it's just different. AW is a sealant, while OCW has carnauba in it...you can't go wrong either way.

LRC3
05-15-2014, 03:43 PM
I use (griots) spray wax after every wash to help with drying.

I'm looking to replace with a more economical product so I ordered some UWW+. I'm hoping it's a great as everyone claims bc the spray wax can get expensive if your weekly washing a black full size SUV.

I swear I'll never buy a black vehicle again. LMAO

WRAPT C5Z06
05-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Yes, overkill.

UWW+ is what I use after a wash every week.

mwoolfso
05-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Yes, overkill.

UWW+ is what I use after a wash every week.

+1 .....

silverfox
05-15-2014, 05:41 PM
UWW or Poorboys spray and wipe are perfect for post washing application. Even your favorite detail spray would work well.

VISITOR
05-15-2014, 05:53 PM
way overkill...

hernandez.art13
05-15-2014, 05:57 PM
My car is Opti Coated. I use Optimum Spray Wax about once a month. Is it necessary? (Idk but haven't seen any I'll effects to doing it that way and IMO it does add a bit of gloss)

I use UWW+ after every 2BM wash as a drying aid. I find it dusts less then other "drying aids" and helps dry beautifully by making the paint feel really slick as your drying with a towel, doing the tap dry method.

I am going to be going rinseless so we'll see with what I come up during those times.

FUNX650
05-15-2014, 06:06 PM
I've been using Aquawax spray wax as a drying aid to help increase the protection on my wife's daily driver.

I notice that Optimum spray wax claims up to 5 months protection. While that might be a stretch, I'm intrigued by the longevity claims...

So, I'm wondering if there are any downsides to using Optimum Spray Wax weekly as an protection enhancer vs. Aquawax.

Thanks.
Out of curiosity:
What is the name/type of "protection" that's on the vehicle,
that you say AquaWax (AW) enhances?

If you're not too concerned about weekly
applications of AW...Then why do you have any about Optimum Car Wax (OCW)?

Is it the:
-Longevity of OCW; i.e.: OK...
What, now, do I get to spray on the vehicle for
around the next 5 months or so!!
-"Wax-build-up-from-layering" issue
-Related cost differences
-Other(s)

Regardless: Thanks for bringing up this, IMO,
timely subject matter OP!

Not too long ago, the subject of wax build-up through "layering" was a hot topic.
Now it seems "layering" is the hot topic with little or no regard to the build-up issue.

Bob

VP Mark
05-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Not really overkill just keep in mind OCT was designed as a true stand alone lsp and not just a traditional spray wax or QD. If it makes you happy keep on keeping on!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

808_detail_nut
05-15-2014, 07:09 PM
also heard that applying AW too often can cloud and dull the look of you vehicle. I have never had that happen to me because I only use it once a month or after maybe 3-4 washes.

KBsToy
05-16-2014, 06:44 AM
I like Optimum gloss enhancer...

Setec Astronomy
05-16-2014, 06:57 AM
also heard that applying AW too often can cloud and dull the look of you vehicle.

That's just crazy talk.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-16-2014, 07:52 AM
That's just crazy talk.
Not really. Jerry from DG said the same thing.

Setec Astronomy
05-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Not really. Jerry from DG said the same thing.

I know, and it's crazy talk. I'm sure it was taken out of context (the context being unhappy customer on phone). If you could build up layers of AW, everyone here would be doing it, and we would have heard about this "cloudiness" a long time ago. Besides, I'm sure there are dozens of members who use it after every wash, which might be several times a week.

EDIT: These forums are great for disseminating knowledge, unfortunately (as in this case) they are also great for disseminating nonsense. If you don't wipe your AW clean, you're going to get a "cloudy" area of unbuffed product, I'm sure that was the implication, which is a little different than layering proper application until it's not "optically clear".