PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy 500

K.S. Detailing
05-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Hoping someone can give some input. I'm looking at buying a 1967 galaxy 500 with a 390. Its a 4 door with all original parts and paint no rust 27k miles.. He's asking 4900.. I'm finding a lot of conflicting pricing online.. Any input on what these things are or can be worth would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AG Online

57BORNTORUN
05-14-2014, 10:40 PM
Post some pics. The draw back is it`s a more door, but if it sweet and you like the car then thats whats important.Take a refrigerator magnet and check for Bondo.There are products now as "All Metal" that can make it deceiving.Get under the car to check the frame rails as well as the braces.Bottom of the doors, quarters and front fenders as thats where rust most likely starts.Does the motor run good and trany shift well.(Pull the dip stick and smell for burnt fluid)Look underneath for oil leaks.Drive the car and see how well the steering and brakes feel and check the gauges.How many options did the car come with and hows the paint and interior? Check if you can the trunk pan, floor boards, front and rear windows, drip rails, hood and deck lid.In response to your original thread are you taking his word or have you inspected the car.

K.S. Detailing
05-15-2014, 08:38 AM
I like the car, But i am also wondering if there would be any resale value. If it all checks out I wanna polish it up real good and drive it around for a while until I get tired of it..lol.

K.S. Detailing
05-15-2014, 09:01 AM
Here are some pics of the car

57BORNTORUN
05-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Photos look good.Check the vinyl top for bubbling.See where he`s at on pricing as it still is a more door.It does look like a nice car but complete the inspection for a price reduction.

WAXOFF
05-15-2014, 10:22 AM
Check the frame near the rear bumper. This model is known to rust at the frame in back and the bumber falls off.

Mike Phillips
05-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Hoping someone can give some input. I'm looking at buying a 1967 galaxy 500 with a 390.

Big block! Cool factor.

Its a 4 door with all original parts and paint no rust 27k miles..

The parts I made bold are key, especially the no rust factor.

He's asking 4900..

That's a lot of car for $5000.00

You keep the oil changed and stay on top of regular maintenance and that car will out live you.

I'm finding a lot of conflicting pricing online.. Any input on what these things are or can be worth would be greatly appreciated!

When I was younger, a car collector told me this sage advice,

Sometimes you pay to soon but you never pay too much....

His point was assuming it's a fair price the value for a classic car will hold up and increase over time.

Another guy told me,

Buy as much car as you can afford...

What he meant by that was buy a car in the best condition as you can afford especially as it relates to rust.

A cheaper car with lots of rust will cost you more to fix than a more expensive car with little to no rust.

I've owned a couple of classic 4-doors and they are actually really nice for when you're taking friends with you. Everyone has their own door.

This shot was taken right after I buffed it out the first time, it had single stage paint and in some places it was almost white with oxidation. You can also see one of the 1959 Cadillacs I owned in the picture, this was a 4-door Flattop, in mint condition. It had less than 60,000 miles on it when I bought, garage kept all of it's life.

Car show in Lebanon, Oregon
http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/1959Flattop02.jpg

:)

damaged442
05-15-2014, 11:00 AM
I have a 77 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 4 door. A 4 door is quite a different beast entirely when it comes to what it's worth. It's very hard to judge. Honestly, it is worth what you pay for it. When you sell it, it's worth what someone buys it for.

As a more door, it has less "collectibility, " therefore less $$$.

Trust me, a green 4 door will only bring a select few individuals when you go to sell it. Me personally, I think it is very cool. I love the 390 factor. That will make it more fun to drive for sure!

They always bring good conversations at shows because everyone had one sometime. Yeah, they may have had a 442 or hot Camaro, Chevelle, Mustang, Road Runner, etc., but someone always had the 4 door "family car."

I always get the stories of people having one just like mine, driving one across the country on a trip or vacation, or the car they learned to drive on, or took on the first date, which may or may not have led to the first makeout session in the back seat. Even with my 442 sitting next to it, I always end up talking to people about the Cutlass.

If I were you, I'd buy it, give it some detailing love, and drive it!

My 4 door also happens to be green, and I thought about selling her when I first picked her up.

That was 22 years ago.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/damaged442/PA220113.jpg (http://s749.photobucket.com/user/damaged442/media/PA220113.jpg.html)

57BORNTORUN
05-15-2014, 11:28 AM
For the record I`m not poo-pooing four doors as their comfortably factor for large groups reigns supreme.

Jertronic
05-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Also one of my favorite bands..... Galaxie 500

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/####/Galaxie_500

The lead of the band used to drive one when in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K.S. Detailing
05-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the input guys..I appreciate it.. Beautiful cutlass BTW.

BobbyG
05-15-2014, 12:09 PM
That's like getting a 2 years old car today for $4,900.....I personally feel this is a great price considering its year and shape....

57BORNTORUN
05-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks for all the input guys..I appreciate it.. Beautiful cutlass BTW.

We are just trying to help you to make the best informed decision possible.If I were closer I help you go through the car with a fine tooth comb.The car as I said looks good.Fight for every $ in case the car needs brake shoes and cylinders, tune up or any other mechanical or body issues.I would be proud to drive this car even though it`s a F%@d,

K.S. Detailing
05-15-2014, 06:46 PM
I appreciate that..lol I'm a Ford guy. I will go through it w a fine tooth comb

david79z28
05-15-2014, 09:10 PM
When looking at it keep in mind that it is an old car. There will be things wrong with it.

If it truly is as advertised, I feel that's a great price. It's still going to need TLC. It's obviously been sitting and that may cause some issues.

That should fit work great for you if your looking for an occasional driver.

BTW: I would definitely change all fluids and filters when/if you get it home.

Good luck.