PDA

View Full Version : CCS Jewelers Pad

Paulyfe12
05-14-2014, 09:16 PM
I was going to order orange white and red pads from CCS for my griots 6 inch DA to be used with the wolfgang paint correction system. After much debate and trying to save money, I decided to not order the reds and only order the orange and white pads and hand apply the sealant. Figured there wouldn't be a difference between DA or hand applications. But I then saw the available Jewelers pads. so my question is am I right to think that hand applying a sealant will result the same as DA applied sealant and does applying the sealant with the jewelers pad do anything? or do I use a polish with the jewelers pad to do anything?

Jake342
05-14-2014, 09:29 PM
You will be fine with only the orange and white pads. Use the orange as the compound and white to polish if your going to be doing a two step correction. The red pad is for applying waxes/sealants and won't have any cut even if you were to match it up with a polish. I prefer to hand wax or seal vs the pad/machine method because I can get into the nooks and crannies of the vehicle easier. Plus that is the final step and you should be proud of your hard work! But if your in a time crunch and need to apply the wax or sealant quickly the red pad would be a good option.

Andr3wilson
05-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Jeweling pad is good for soft soft paint or were you are having a hard time with clarity. They jeweling pad effectively forces the polish to work by itself and does not aid in cutting resulting in very clear results.

Machine applying sealant is more effective in spreading the product thin, where with hand you will make a thicker layer. Really doesn't matter - thicker is harder to remove.

You should have no issue, the white finishes very well. Throw in a jeweling pad and see how you like it.

Paulyfe12
05-14-2014, 09:49 PM
well since theres mostly light swirls and love marks, it a brand new car that was a show room car. and by the advice of mike phillips, im gonna start with Wolfgangs swirl remover with the white pad and see how it goes. So could I do the swirl remover compound with the white then use the polish with something lighter than the white to get a clearer finish? like the green polishing/finishing or gray finishing pads? or would there be no real difference between the pads? or would even using the lighter pads result in a finish that still has scratches and swirls in it?

Jake342
05-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Yes you could go to a green or gray pad with a polish after the swirl remover and white if there were still defects left behind. I'm not positive what paint you working on so use the least aggressive method and do a test spot. Most likely if you choose to use the swirl remover and white it will finish down nicely. In case that the swirl remover leaves an marring or finer scratches clean them up with the polish and green/gray finishing pad.

Paulyfe12
05-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Im not sure if its hard or soft paint buts its the car in my picture a 2013 VW GTI in Candy White

Paulyfe12
05-14-2014, 10:11 PM
and what your saying is that using the swirl remover with the white pad then polish with the green pad, could result in a more clearer finish than if I used the polish with a white pad? I'm kinda thinking the pads are like sand paper in terms of the fineness that can be obtained with finer grits

Jake342
05-14-2014, 10:24 PM
You could use the white pad with the swirl remover and then jump to a green pad with a DIFFERENT, finer polish, to further refine you buffing of the swirl remover. In my opinion, considering a white car, I believe the white pad and swirl remover will finish out nicely! But I have never tried this specific combo on this exact paint. If I understand you indications correctly you were saying using the swirl remover on a white pad then the swirl remover on a green pad? If that's the case, the green pad plus the swirl remover wouldn't give a noticeable difference over the previous step. IMO.

Paulyfe12
05-14-2014, 10:29 PM
that's what mike thought as well that since the car was new and only had light swirls and scratches from improper car (thank you dealership) lol that the swirl remover with the white pad would be the place to start. and nah man I meant the white pad with the swirl remover (compound) then use the finishing glaze (polish) with a green pad instead of another white pad. not using the swirl remover twice

Andr3wilson
05-14-2014, 10:58 PM
I doubt the white and WG compound would really correct too much on the VW paint - harder paint. Id go straight to orange or even yellow, level it all out. Then if it is a little hazy (really hard to see on white) white and the finishing polishing (probably your best route - won't mess up). Most likely the WG will finish out very nice and clear with the orange or yellow. So if I was in your shoes id use a finishing pad (black or green) after the cutting phase to help pump up gloss and clear up the paint. Then seal.

With regard to pads, the black, red, gold, blue are so similar they all work and finish the exact same.

Paulyfe12
05-14-2014, 11:50 PM
so compound with orange, polish with white, then polish again with green, then seal?

hernandez.art13
05-15-2014, 12:29 AM
So I'm here in the hospital and hospital bed. They gave me some Morphine, Adevan and Ambien lol

So bare with me :cool:

Well from the research I'd the white pad is for ligh/medium polish

And green so you could be working backwards unless you designing that method for specific reasons.
I'd say

compound -Orange

Polish- White Polishing Pad

Ultra Fine Polish (DAT. Jeweling pad, red waxing pad

Spray bottle with QD or just water to give longer working time.

Well that took me forever lol

allenk4
05-15-2014, 04:56 PM
so compound with orange, polish with white, then polish again with green, then seal?

There are two green pads, so watch out.

The new Green is Soft

There was an older Green that was firm

Here is the chart for current offerings from Lake Country:

Lake Country DA Foam Pads Comparison Chart (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-foam-pads.html)

allenk4
05-15-2014, 05:02 PM

Most if not all on the Forum suggest doing a small test spot (2'x2') to determine which combination works best on your vehicle.

If there are swirls in the paint, I typically start with a Polish on a White Pad.

If that combo does not work, I go to a Compound on an Orange Pad.

Some paints finish LSP ready after Compounding

Some need the additional step of Polishing

Some benefit from an additional refining step of either, the same polish with a softer pad, or a jeweling polish like Menzerna SF4500.

The Test Spot and your eyes will do a much better job of determining what Combo to use than any of us on the Forum....we are just guessing at what you are seeing.

Have FUN