PDA

View Full Version : Fx37 purchase, maybe

Darrin
05-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Hey guys this is my first post so be gentle. I'm pretty new to this detailing stuff but I'm really enjoying it. Anyway the wife and I are looking at buying a 2013 black obsidian fx37. It is a corporate lease turn in and was taken care of like it. The paint is swirled like crazy and the hood has some massively bad paint chip/scratch repair done to it. Either the dealer or the old lessor just globbed huge amounts of touch up into the wounds. Is this still suitable to be reworked or does it need to be removed to start over.

Just02896
05-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Hey guys this is my first post so be gentle. I'm pretty new to this detailing stuff but I'm really enjoying it. Anyway the wife and I are looking at buying a 2013 black obsidian fx37. It is a corporate lease turn in and was taken care of like it. The paint is swirled like crazy and the hood has some massively bad paint chip/scratch repair done to it. Either the dealer or the old lessor just globbed huge amounts of touch up into the wounds. Is this still suitable to be reworked or does it need to be removed to start over.

If the paint in the touched up areas is higher than the factory paint you could tape off the area, wet sand level, and then compound and polish them out. This should help to minimize the appearance of the touch ups.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
05-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Find a good professional detailer who is willing to give you his opinion and a decent estimate. Then work that into your negotiations.

LRC3
05-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Great truck BUT I'd think twice about a black SUV. If your anal like me about your truck, black WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS.

If you don't have a garage (I have one) I'd give you 6 months before regret sets in. :nomore:LMAO

If it's parked outside seriously consider another color, you've been warned!

Just02896
05-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Great truck BUT I'd think twice about a black SUV. If your anal like me about your truck, black WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS.

If you don't have a garage (I have one) I'd give you 6 months before regret sets in. :nomore:LMAO

If it's parked outside seriously consider another color, you've been warned!

Lol! That's funny and so true! BUT...
I actually enjoy working on black paint. There's nothing more rewarding than when a client sees their corrected and coated black vehicle for the first time. Black paint also brings me lots of tippers! (One as much as $200) There is no reflection more true than that of proper black paint! :-)

cshamilton
05-15-2014, 10:50 PM
I live near one of the Nissan plants and all I can say is be very careful buying an off-lease from the factory. Lots of times, the employees get 20-50% off the standard lease rate, which is 1% of the MSRP per month. So, at 46,000 invoice, they'll pay $460 a month, plus, say 30% discount, $320 a month and that includes basic maintenance plus they can turn it in at the end of the year and get a brand new one.

I have heard horror stories about Z's and FX's. Also, there's a running joke around here that if you hear a Z in 2nd or 3rd gear going 50-70mph, it's obviously a lease.

Just some food for thought.

Darrin
05-16-2014, 05:06 AM
Thanks for all the responses. This wouldn't be my first black car. I have a black 944 turbo and a black wrangler. So I get the maintenance issues of ownership. The dealer is trying to be a hard ass with negotiations so I may have to find a different one.

BobbyG
05-16-2014, 05:14 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Darrin !! :props: