PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove sticker residue from paint?

Pages : [1] 2

flugufrelsarinn
05-14-2014, 05:53 PM
I am preparing a jeep for trade in and I am having so much trouble removing the residue for where old "rubicon" stickers used to be. I have tried KIO, P21 PWC, Bug and tar cleaner, clay, clay with bug and tar cleaner, nothing has worked. This stuff is BAKED on.

Does anyone have any tips to take care of this?

wdmaccord
05-14-2014, 05:55 PM
TarX or Goo Gone.

maximus5403
05-14-2014, 07:33 PM
3m auto adhesive remover

spiralout462
05-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Whatever you use give it time to dwell. I believe Steve (aka: Swanicyouth) just had a tough time with some stubborn adhesive. I will look around......

Just02896
05-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Goof off works really well also. I also use it to remove wax residue from plastic and rubber, to remove gunk from and renew rubber trim, and to renew wiper blades. Just be sure to use IPA or eraser to wipe away the goof off. It can if left to dwell for too long it can soften or damage plastics and rubber.

swanicyouth
05-14-2014, 07:47 PM
What worked for me was a heat gun and a mixture of compound and mineral spirits on a MF applicator and some "force".

Clay, compounding, Griots Adhesive remover and mineral spirits alone would not work. I had to get the sticky residue very hot, and use the mineral spirits compound mixture to "buff" it off while the sticky stuff was still hot.

It was so hot, the mineral spirits were smokin! Be careful, it worked for me - but it's probably a fine line between heating the adhesive and cooking the paint.

davisautodetail
05-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Goof off for me will take off most, but it often requires a little paint work under it.

AeroCleanse
05-14-2014, 10:17 PM
I use steam, but 3M Adhesive Remover is amazing.

Pureshine
05-14-2014, 10:34 PM
Goof off for me will take off most, but it often requires a little paint work under it.

:iagree:

Vtextc
05-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Keep in mind that even if you remove the decal and related adhesive residue, if the decals have aged in situ and have been exposed to the elements for some time, the paint beneath them may be permanently damaged and the residual "ghosting" practically impossible to remove.

Asif

LRC3
05-15-2014, 04:32 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VYAagtH-L.jpg

Choice Tool Supply 4" Smart Eraser Pad with Drill Adaptor Arbor

This is similar to the 3M easer but less then half the cost, $14 free shipping over $35 on amazon too.

Toyota has 4, I'd say big(er) chrome emblems on the back. I took me 3hrs with fishing line and goo gone for the small TOYOTA emblem (.5x3') in size, took me 30 mins after got my eraser for the other 3 that where twice as big and didn't need any crappy goo gone.

Forget goo gone, heat guns and the rest of that CRAP unless you have hours to waste, this is all you need.

mike02vr6
05-15-2014, 08:59 PM
I have used heat guns and a plastic razor with relatively good success, then follow up with rubbing alcohol. But I am learning so much more here. I have also used the 3m on the drill which is awesome!

stilltipping3
05-15-2014, 09:41 PM
I use steam, but 3M Adhesive Remover is amazing.

Steam huh, never thought of that.

stilltipping3
05-15-2014, 09:42 PM

This is similar to the 3M easer but less then half the cost, $14 free shipping over $35 on amazon too.

Toyota has 4, I'd say big(er) chrome emblems on the back. I took me 3hrs with fishing line and goo gone for the small TOYOTA emblem (.5x3') in size, took me 30 mins after got my eraser for the other 3 that where twice as big and didn't need any crappy goo gone.

Forget goo gone, heat guns and the rest of that CRAP unless you have hours to waste, this is all you need.

This is what body shops use!

mike02vr6
12-14-2018, 12:57 AM

Forget goo gone, heat guns and the rest of that CRAP unless you have hours to waste, this is all you need.Yes it's used in body shops, pay attention to the max rpm, we had a guy get stitches in his lip because one grenaded in his face. Also be care you can burn the paint

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk