PDA

View Full Version : What should I use for DA unreachable parts of the car?

Pages : [1] 2

puma1824
05-14-2014, 01:36 PM
I recently purchased the Meguiars DA Microfiber System 5" as well as 3" backing plate and MF disks. What should I use for DA unreachable parts of the car to complement this system?

Any suggestion for polish, wax, applicator(s) for these hard to reach by machine areas? I'm thinking maybe Meguiars 105 & 205. Example: inside of BMW M3 mirrors, door handle recessed section, and other hard to reach areas. (see pics)

Thanks in advance.

zmcgovern45
05-14-2014, 01:42 PM
First - very nice pictures!

Second - it is common practice to do some of these hard to reach areas by hand. You can simply use a 3" pad by hand if you'd like. M105/205 are great options.

mjv231
05-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Can also cut up some pads into squares... I believe mike has an article or a video (on YouTube) about this let me look around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hernandez.art13
05-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Also you have to be careful using a DA on 3" pad. Because you can burn the paint on edges.

Its nothing like say the PC with a 6" pad where it pretty difficult to do, but not a 3" pad where it easier to do.

BlackRam
05-14-2014, 02:52 PM
so if you have a gg6 or pc and put a 3in plate and 3.5 in pads on it, why is it easier to burn paint?

thank you

zmcgovern45
05-14-2014, 02:58 PM
so if you have a gg6 or pc and put a 3in plate and 3.5 in pads on it, why is it easier to burn paint?

thank you

Since pressure is equal to force per unit area, The reduced surface area of the pad makes it possible to generate much more force at the face of the pad (this is assuming you are applying the same pressure in all cases), so theoretically it is possible to do more damage..... these small machines and pads are still extremely safe though.

I explained this concept in this thread: Hand Polishing FASTER Than Machine??? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/70003-hand-polishing-faster-than-machine-2.html#post943918)

allenk4
05-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Also you have to be careful using a DA on 3" pad. Because you can burn the paint on edges.

Its nothing like say the PC with a 6" pad where it pretty difficult to do, but not a 3" pad where it easier to do.

Art

Good info on the 3"

Can you give us some additional details about how you can burn the paint with this pad on a DA?

Not sure I understand completely.

allenk4
05-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Since pressure is equal to force per unit area, The reduced surface area of the pad makes it possible to generate much more force at the face of the pad (this is assuming you are applying the same pressure in all cases), so theoretically it is possible to do more damage..... these small machines and pads are still extremely safe though.

I explained this concept in this thread: Hand Polishing FASTER Than Machine??? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/70003-hand-polishing-faster-than-machine-2.html#post943918)

I agree

That is also...I suspect...why Meguiar's does not make the Xtra Cut MF pads in a 3".
The 3" regular MF cutting pad probably cuts more than 6" Xtra Cut, based on the concentration of power to the smaller pad.

I was curious about what ART meant by, "you can burn the paint on edges."

Methodical
05-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Get you some microfiber applicators for the door handles and inside those mirrors.

zmcgovern45
05-14-2014, 04:14 PM
I agree

That is also...I suspect...why Meguiar's does not make the Xtra Cut MF pads in a 3".
The 3" regular MF cutting pad probably cuts more than 6" Xtra Cut, based on the concentration of power to the smaller pad.

I was curious about what ART meant by, "you can burn the paint on edges."

Paint is typically thinner near edges of body panels, on raised body lines, and that sort of thing, therefore those are usually the places that get burned/struck through.

allenk4
05-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Paint is typically thinner near edges of body panels, on raised body lines, and that sort of thing, therefore those are usually the places that get burned/struck through.

I agree, but for me....the decreased size of the 3" pad actually makes me more comfortable buffing around the edges, contoured sections and up to raised body lines than when using a 5 1/2" pad.

Looking forward to seeing how people start using the Rupes "Micro" polishers.

hernandez.art13
05-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Oh ok

hernandez.art13
05-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Well watching Junkman's video he talks about burning paint using the PC.

So in back of my mind knowing what Michael Stoops that you can burn paint on a PC. But wanted the swirls removed. So went at it.

I used a PC, lake country 3"backing plate and TufBuff wool pad and Menzerna FG400.

Weird part that the the paint was slightly warm to the touch and there wasn't any smoke! Like I've seen working at the body shop on a Rotary.

I didn't notice it till after after and I have never seen this type of paint burn. Probably because it was on a PC and not a Rotary like i'm used to.

I took it to my uncle and he said for family (me) it would be $160 for a spot repair. However, he recommended I paint my whole bumper for $250 since it has damaged from someone getting to closed to me when that person was parking.

If I don't point it out you can't tell, so taking care of some things that are more important right now.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00237_zpscfzd5vad.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ScreamKingArt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00237_zpscfzd5vad.jpg.html)

Hope thay helps

hernandez.art13
05-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Ignore the black line that is vertical that is from the last owner.

I'm talking about the horizontal grey line above my finger

Side Note: my cell phone spelling is off, probably because I am on Morphine at the hospital :laughing: :D :dunno: (true story)

allenk4
05-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Well watching Junkman's video he talks about burning paint using the PC.

So in back of my mind knowing what Michael Stoops that you can burn paint on a PC. But wanted the swirls removed. So went at it.

I used a PC, lake country 3"backing plate and TufBuff wool pad and Menzerna FG400.

Weird part that the the paint was slightly warm to the touch and there wasn't any smoke! Like I've seen working at the body shop on a Rotary.

I didn't notice it till after after and I have never seen this type of paint burn. Probably because it was on a PC and not a Rotary like i'm used to.

I took it to my uncle and he said for family (me) it would be $160 for a spot repair. However, he recommended I paint my whole bumper for $250 since it has damaged from someone getting to closed to me when that person was parking.

If I don't point it out you can't tell, so taking care of some things that are more important right now.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00237_zpscfzd5vad.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/ScreamKingArt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CAM00237_zpscfzd5vad.jpg.html)

Hope thay helps

Well that Stinks!

Plastic bumpers do heat up quickly when compounding, but if the surface wasn't hot when you touched it....that's strange

Wool Pad may be the key variable here.

Looking forward to the input from some of the other Forum Members