PDA

View Full Version : Help with Cquartz Dlux

Pages : [1] 2

MelissaGT
05-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Good afternoon, I was hoping I could get some help with the application of Cquartz Dlux. I've tried twice and it keeps curing with white splotches. I've followed the directions and no water has touched the trim in 24hrs. Any suggestions?

theblob640
05-14-2014, 11:55 AM
If possible, can you provide some pictures? I have been using DLux for a while now, and haven't had the problem you are encountering. How long after application did it appear? I am guessing the surface wasn't clean.

Chris@AutoCleanse
05-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Think you can post some pictures.

zmcgovern45
05-14-2014, 12:23 PM
Good afternoon, I was hoping I could get some help with the application of Cquartz Dlux. I've tried twice and it keeps curing with white splotches. I've followed the directions and no water has touched the trim in 24hrs. Any suggestions?

What is your exact process? What are your ambient conditions? Are you absolutely certain the areas are completely clean? More info would be helpful in troubleshooting your issues.

If you wipe with IPA and a white cloth would you pick up any dirt off the surface, or would the cloth remain white? That is my true test of whether or not my trim is ready to be coated.

I've used DLUX on trim and wheels on multiple occasions and haven't had any issues.

swanicyouth
05-14-2014, 12:50 PM
I'm thinking the trim is not clean. This may mean there is previous applied dressings still on the trim. If the trim is rubber like, they may be harder to remove.

I found the best stuff to remove old dressings from trim that it has been absorbed into is Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner. This works excellent on plastic trim as well.

Mike Phillips
05-14-2014, 12:52 PM
just out of curiosity?

What are you working on?

How old is it?

Been parked outside all of its life or garage kept?

What condition was the trim before you started working on it? Like New or faded and rough?

Pictures help and sometimes a little tidbit of information can help too...

:)

MelissaGT
05-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Thank you for the responses. I apologize I didn't go into further detail above - typing on my phone is not fun!

I believe I will give it another shot with cleaning the trim more. I used Poorboy's World APC, however I did not follow up with IPA...I will try this. My first attempt it was very sunny out so I thought that was the problem. My second attempt it was overcast all day, but I had the same issue. Both days I was lucky to not have any rain for a full 24hrs. It's now been a little over 48hrs since the first application and new splotches are still showing up. The first appeared about 6hrs in.

For more info on the car, it is a 2006 Ford Mustang GT Convertible. Part of the trim is smooth, and some is very textured. It wasn't in horrid shape, as I had previously been treating with "back to black" type creams. I just don't like how they leave grease stains down the side of the car after it rains. The car is not garaged, so it does get a lot of sun exposure.

I have attached a few pictures, the first being the side mirror, which is pretty smooth trim and the others are of the trim around the convertible top, which is very textured.

I really want to love this stuff, but so far I have used half of my teeny bottle with these failed attempts! This time of year it's also hard to get a straight 24hrs with no rain, so I'm not sure when I'll get to try again.

Thank you!

Jaretr1
05-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Yes... I have never had the problem you are describing either. I have used Dlux on my car twice with no issues.

That kinda looks like it either got wet, or those are existing stains coming through. I would make sure you do a thorough cleaning and an IPA wipedown.

Welcome to AG forums by the way!

MelissaGT
05-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Yes... I have never had the problem you are describing either. I have used Dlux on my car twice with no issues.

That kinda looks like it either got wet, or those are existing stains coming through. I would make sure you do a thorough cleaning and an IPA wipedown.

Welcome to AG forums by the way!

Thank you!

I know it didn't get wet. I left a sheet of cardboard that I was using to sit on the ground outside with the car both nights and it was bone dry when I got up. That was my "test" to see if it rained at all.

The trim didn't look splotchy like that before I used the Dlux, so I'm not sure if that's anything showing thru. It was just faded.

Looks like I'm off to the drug store for some IPA!

MelissaGT
05-14-2014, 04:35 PM
So I'm outside cleaning the trim up again and the whole time I've had this car I thought the trim around the convertible top was rough. However, the more I rub with APC or IPA, the more crud comes off. I can only describe it as gunk just sloughing off, revealing smooth stuff underneath!

Jaretr1
05-14-2014, 05:04 PM
So I'm outside cleaning the trim up again and the whole time I've had this car I thought the trim around the convertible top was rough. However, the more I rub with APC or IPA, the more crud comes off. I can only describe it as gunk just sloughing off, revealing smooth stuff underneath!

I hope you arent removing paint or something :)

But that might help!

Just02896
05-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Try using goof off, then a good APC, and then IPA to finish out the prep. I've had to do this a few times to clean wax residue off of plastic and rubber trim from other "detailers" before dressing or coating.

swanicyouth
05-14-2014, 05:30 PM
If its "rubber" you may reach a point where the UV coating on the rubber is removed from time/ UV exposure/ cleaning.

I bring this up, because the one pic resembles a BMW convertible top gasket - which I'm quite familiar with. That type of rubber has a UV coating from the factory that often fails after a few years and tends to make it look "uneven" - but not splotchy.

That type of rubber will need to have the UV coating removed (via sanding) and then have DLux applied to look new again. But, I'm not sure that is what's going on here.

Was there "dressing" on the trim pieces prior? Do the trim pieces seem porous / rubbery / flexible?

If so, I'm guessing there is still dressing loaded up in the trim material. This will have to be removed in order for DLux to be successful. I'm sure many cleaners can work, but IME IPA will not work. APC may work, but I do not believe its very effective.

What does work, is Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner. As, this product was designed to remove all old dressings and dirt from tires. You may reach a point where the towel is turning black while cleaning, but this may be transfer from the trim material onto the towel - not necessarily dirt.

MelissaGT
05-14-2014, 06:01 PM
If its "rubber" you may reach a point where the UV coating on the rubber is removed from time/ UV exposure/ cleaning.

I bring this up, because the one pic resembles a BMW convertible top gasket - which I'm quite familiar with. That type of rubber has a UV coating from the factory that often fails after a few years and tends to make it look "uneven" - but not splotchy.

That type of rubber will need to have the UV coating removed (via sanding) and then have DLux applied to look new again. But, I'm not sure that is what's going on here.

Was there "dressing" on the trim pieces prior? Do the trim pieces seem porous / rubbery / flexible?

If so, I'm guessing there is still dressing loaded up in the trim material. This will have to be removed in order for DLux to be successful. I'm sure many cleaners can work, but IME IPA will not work. APC may work, but I do not believe its very effective.

What does work, is Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner. As, this product was designed to remove all old dressings and dirt from tires. You may reach a point where the towel is turning black while cleaning, but this may be transfer from the trim material onto the towel - not necessarily dirt.

It feels like a hard rubber. I've worked about a 3ft section for 3hrs and I think it's finally clean...nice and smooth. And I think you're right about color transfer...the rag still comes away black but I cant imagine anything being left on there. Hopefully the CQuartz will work now.

swanicyouth
05-14-2014, 06:03 PM
It should work. Now clean it with IPA or Eraser to remove any cleaners.