PDA

View Full Version : My project today: Restored 1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Callaway

Pages : [1] 2

PremierAuto_NJ
05-13-2014, 11:10 PM
I did a paint correction today on a restored 1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Callaway. The paint was in horrible condition. The paint shop took a rotary after they finished painting it with a heavy cutting pad and compounding and went nuts. Covered in swirls, holograms, and pigtailing. I had a good time working on this and it turned out pretty good so I thought I would share! Most of the people on my social media sites wouldn't recognize this vehicle but I know plenty of you guys will. I have been doing this for about 4 years now, and am a young business owner (23) still perfecting my craft so I welcome any constructive criticism to my methods, products, or tools. Any senior members see anything please let me know, I joined this because I want to be a better detailer and to grow my business! I tried to take pics as best I could but its hard to catch the swirls and lack there of in the right lighting. Anyways enjoy!

Washed
Clay-bar
Detailed engine (should have took more pics)
Dried
Tapped off trim
Polished with Porter Cable DA first with Meguiars ultimate compound with a heavy cutting pad, then Meguiars ultimate polish with a medium cutting pad
Applied thin layer of Pinnacle deep gloss sealant to body and windshield
Cleaned interior, vacuum, cleaned all panels dash ect, shampooed carpet, conditioned leather, and applied protectant to all surfaces
Removed sealant and applied Pinnacle liquid souveran wax
Dressed tires and engine bay
removed tape and removed wax
cleaned windows

And thats all she wrote! Don't kill me too hard on not taking enough pics! I had two videos on my Iphone but they wouldn't upload. I got wrapped up in working, and after 7 hours was ready to get out. But yeah let me know what you guys think!

jamesboyy
05-13-2014, 11:49 PM
For a mid classic land rover you sure made it look like it was wrapped in protective wrapping all its life great work keep it up

CopperMtnGuy
05-14-2014, 06:17 AM
Awesome P38 Rangie!!! Nice work

mikesal57
05-14-2014, 07:17 AM
great job!

how long did it take?

polish with a orange pad ( med cut) ?
no final polish with white?

PremierAuto_NJ
05-14-2014, 06:02 PM
great job!

how long did it take?

polish with a orange pad ( med cut) ?
no final polish with white?
Like 7 hours start to finish, but yeah with the orange. I have been reading everywhere about how most use a 3rd pad for the finishing, but the orange pad on a two step correction works great for me!

57BORNTORUN
05-14-2014, 07:22 PM
From one Jersey boy to another...Good job.:buffing:

PremierAuto_NJ
05-14-2014, 07:23 PM
From one Jersey boy to another...Good job.:buffing:
But you're living the life in Palm City! I lived there for 5 years and learned how to detail in Naples Florida. But I appreciate it!

57BORNTORUN
05-14-2014, 07:34 PM
But you're living the life in Palm City! I lived there for 5 years and learned how to detail in Naples Florida. But I appreciate it!
Almost all of my family still lives in Jersey.Too cold for me.

mikesal57
05-15-2014, 07:45 AM
Like 7 hours start to finish, but yeah with the orange. I have been reading everywhere about how most use a 3rd pad for the finishing, but the orange pad on a two step correction works great for me!

What if the paint wasn't terrible?

PremierAuto_NJ
05-15-2014, 07:53 AM
What if the paint wasn't terrible?
So far in Jersey I haven't come across a vehcile yet that didn't need compounding, but per your suggestion ordered a white pad and finishing polish and glaze last night! :D

mikesal57
05-16-2014, 06:52 AM
So far in Jersey I haven't come across a vehcile yet that didn't need compounding, but per your suggestion ordered a white pad and finishing polish and glaze last night! :D

sorry i cost you money :laughing:
but thats what this site can do

PremierAuto_NJ
05-16-2014, 11:53 AM
sorry i cost you money :laughing:
but thats what this site can do
Would rather spend the extra money and do it right!

mikesal57
05-17-2014, 08:38 AM
One last thing PA...

How did you clean the engine bay and what product and steps..

That's my next project after a wet sanding task..

Thxs

Mike

PremierAuto_NJ
05-17-2014, 10:57 AM
One last thing PA...

How did you clean the engine bay and what product and steps..

That's my next project after a wet sanding task..

Thxs

Mike
I covered the alternator and battery, then used a hose with low to medium pressure to start and hosed off the engine (while cool) and the rest of the engine bay, used Meguiars all purpose cleaner diluted to 4:1 as the degreaser, scrubbed with detailing brushes, re sprayed it, removed the standing water near electrical components then finished detailing the car. Once the engine dried I used Meguiars Hyper Dressing on an applicator pad to shine it up. I am looking into investing in a compressor and pressure washer because unfortunately with my method there are some places my brushes and hands cant fit into, or arms are not long enough to reach. On any new high end vehicle the engine cleaning is a breeze

mikesal57
05-18-2014, 11:16 AM
I covered the alternator and battery, then used a hose with low to medium pressure to start and hosed off the engine (while cool) and the rest of the engine bay, used Meguiars all purpose cleaner diluted to 4:1 as the degreaser, scrubbed with detailing brushes, re sprayed it, removed the standing water near electrical components then finished detailing the car. Once the engine dried I used Meguiars Hyper Dressing on an applicator pad to shine it up. I am looking into investing in a compressor and pressure washer because unfortunately with my method there are some places my brushes and hands cant fit into, or arms are not long enough to reach. On any new high end vehicle the engine cleaning is a breeze

Thank you sir...

I have a PW , Meg's APC, and brushes..

Just need the nerve..LOL