PDA

View Full Version : Any problems with my process?

Quick5Oh
07-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Hey guys,
Well I just placed my first order on auto geek. I got a pc7424 for real cheap from a buddy of mine and I purchased the xmt kit with ccs pads. My cars paint is pretty bad and needs to be taken care of. There are alot of little swirls but no real scratches or anything. So here is the process I plan to use, tell me what you think should be changed. This is my first time detailing.

Wash w/ DP
Clay
Wash
Polish via PC with XMT 3 followed up with XMT 1
Wash
Apply XMT Caranauba Finishing Glaze
Apply Poorboys EX Sealant

See any problems with this? I am unsure because this is my first detail, but I am definitly excited to get started! :D

Thank you,
Evan

makdaddy626
07-23-2007, 12:49 PM
I think you may have some problems with a Sealant bonding on top of the glaze due to the wax contained in the glaze.

Quick5Oh
07-23-2007, 12:53 PM
I had been looking at other threads and reading about that. That was more of the reason I posted this. How is sealant usually applied?

lgtspecb
07-23-2007, 03:18 PM
You want to seal before you wax. The polymers in the sealant cannot bind to the wax as it is really just a clear slick oil. Other than that the process looks good.

You really do not need to wash after you clay if you will be polishing, since your polish will remove any clay and soap residue. I recommend washing after polishing to remove dust and excess polish, but many go directly into sealing after polishing.

budman3
07-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Actually the EX sealant contains polymers along with carnauba wax so I don't see a problem using the XMT glaze and then EX. You may run into issues with traditional sealants though. The extra wash after the polishing may be a little extreme, plus it is possible to apply more swirls in the paint you just polished. The XMT series don't dust that much so the clean up would just consist of a MF wipedown. I think you should be good to go whichever way you decide.

D
07-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I would wash after polish, XMT dusts a fair bit.

Jimmie
07-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Wolfgang and Poorboys are the only Sealants I know of that are glaze friendly w/ most glazes. Seen a lot of people use EX-P over a Glaze with no issues, might be the resin makeup of EX-P that allows it to bond well. Try that with almost any other sealant and you'll end up with a smear fest.

This post was by Surfer last Dec. Hope it was OK to dig this up Surfer. If not, I'm standing by to be ax-ed.

As a general rule a sealant should be applied to clean paint so there will be no bonding issues.
Another nice combo is XMT Carnauba Glaze straight to a Carnauba wax.

ScottB
07-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Actually the EX sealant contains polymers along with carnauba wax so I don't see a problem using the XMT glaze and then EX. You may run into issues with traditional sealants though. The extra wash after the polishing may be a little extreme, plus it is possible to apply more swirls in the paint you just polished. The XMT series don't dust that much so the clean up would just consist of a MF wipedown. I think you should be good to go whichever way you decide.

:iagree: :iagree:

Its Ex-P the pure sealant that might have issue with glaze.

Quick5Oh
07-23-2007, 05:06 PM
So do I just need to wash once then? Don't wash after clay or polishing? Also, does anybody have any experience with the EX sealant? Is it a good choice? I wanted good protection with a little wax look too so thats why I decided on this one. Thanks for all the advice guys.

ScottB
07-23-2007, 05:08 PM
its not a bad product, looks nice. If you want a more "wax" look, consider a spritz of Souveran Spray Wax after each wax. That will have you glowing !

Quick5Oh
07-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Great thanks. I will have to build my arsenal as I go and see what I like and don't like. I will definitly have some before and after pictures for you guys to see. Hopefully all turns out well.