PDA

View Full Version : 2013 VW Passat with X on the hood

DRamsey
05-12-2014, 05:39 PM
I've got 21,000 miles on the vehicle and I've washed it at least once a week, multiple applications of Prime Lime Lite, not to mention wax applications, with all of that there is still a "Ghost" mark of a box with an X in it on the hood. It appears when then is a dew or a frost. Otherwise it is invisible. My guess is it is from the protective film that was on the vehicle in transit, or maybe it is from some part of the manufacturing process. The question is, how to get rid of it?

Just02896
05-12-2014, 05:53 PM
I've got 21,000 miles on the vehicle and I've washed it at least once a week, multiple applications of Prime Lime Lite, not to mention wax applications, with all of that there is still a "Ghost" mark of a box with an X in it on the hood. It appears when then is a dew or a frost. Otherwise it is invisible. My guess is it is from the protective film that was on the vehicle in transit, or maybe it is from some part of the manufacturing process. The question is, how to get rid of it?

Open the hood and look underneath. It is caused by the X-bracing support structure of the hood itself. You may not see it if there is insulation padding. There is no way to get rid of this effect and it causes no harm. It happens on many vehicles during snow as well.

DRamsey
05-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Just02896,
You are a genius, I just walked outside and popped the hood. There is insulation under the hood, but there is my X embossed into the insulation, so I'm guessing it's a hood brace, just as you suggested. Thank you, mystery solved.

TrolleyVW
05-12-2014, 08:12 PM
I have a 13 jetta with the same x pattern

Chase.Barnett
05-16-2014, 01:09 AM

I've got the same exact thing on mine. It drives me crazy when I walk out in the morning and I can see it through the morning dew.

oldmodman
05-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Frost on hood showing ghost X due to differential heat transfer?

Move to Los Angeles. No rain or dew here. Ever:eek::mad:. Guess that's why we are burning to the ground all the time.