PDA

View Full Version : How to revive water beading of Opti-Coat?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kbreeze
05-12-2014, 05:29 PM
I had my car professionaly Opti-coated a tad over a year ago. Car is outside 24/7, was not washed all winter and it's not beading at all now after doing a standard hand wash using Mothers California Gold car wash. Car must have a film on it that this wash isn't taking off. Suggestions?

hernandez.art13
05-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Are you sure the coating is still holding up?

DaveT435
05-12-2014, 05:53 PM
I had my car professionaly Opti-coated a tad over a year ago. Car is outside 24/7, was not washed all winter and it's not beading at all now after doing a standard hand wash using Mothers California Gold car wash. Car must have a film on it that this wash isn't taking off. Suggestions?

I have a similar situation. I know I have good coverage. The problem in my case is that the car sits all day about 3 miles from DFW airport. I'm going to clay it and let you know the outcome...

Kbreeze
05-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Are you sure the coating is still holding up?

I would certainly hope so after only one year when it's advertised as a permanent coating. Plus I had it professionally done by an authorized OC installer. Nothing at all abrasive has been applied to the finish. Just a few basic hand washes with car soap and chenille microfiber mitts. There is no reason it shouldn't still be intact.

Kbreeze
05-12-2014, 05:57 PM
I have a similar situation. I know I have good coverage. The problem in my case is that the car sits all day about 3 miles from DFW airport. I'm going to clay it and let you know the outcome...

Yeah let me know how that works for you. I was also thinking of trying a wash with Optimum Power Clean but I am not sure exactly how to use that on the paint finish (What ratio and the specific procedure)

FUNX650
05-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Did your professional:
-apply Opti-Coat 2.0,
-or, apply Opti-Gard?

Since it's been 6+ months (including not being washed the entire Winter) the Coating is in need of a good cleaning---claying and a mild polish should do the trick.

If still concerned...contact the professional.
Initially...He/She probably wanted to set you up on a
regularly scheduled maintenance plan anyway.

Bob

Kbreeze
05-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Did your professional:
-apply Opti-Coat 2.0,
-or, apply Opti-Gard?

Since it's been 6+ months (including not being washed the entire Winter) the Coating is in need of a good cleaning---claying and a mild polish should do the trick.

If still concerned...contact the professional.
Initially...He/She probably wanted to set you up on a
regularly scheduled maintenance plan anyway.

Bob

It was Opti-Guard, the professional version. He is an authorized installer. For the record it's only been about 5 months. I washed it when spring broke but just finally getting around to asking the question.

With regards to a polish, here are my concerns:

1.) If I use anything with abrasives which I think all polishes have, I think it might remove some of the coating. Also, just for the record I don't own a polisher.

2.) No idea which polish to use. I don't want to use anything that would make a finish bead water regardless if it was opti-coated or not because then how would I know if My OC is fine and still all there?

DaveT435
05-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Yeah let me know how that works for you. I was also thinking of trying a wash with Optimum Power Clean but I am not sure exactly how to use that on the paint finish (What ratio and the specific procedure)

There was a similar thread about a year ago. Everyone jumps to the conclusion that the product failed. That particular case the vehicle was parked in an industrial area and never washed. The product didn't fail but it did allow industrial fallout to bond to it. In my case I know being that close to that busy of an airport jet fuel will stick to it. On top of that my son doesn't wash his vehicle regularly. I'm assuming light clay will take it off. I'll let you know

chet31
05-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Some car soaps contain "spot free rinse" type additives that can temporarily suppress water beading right after a wash.

zmcgovern45
05-12-2014, 07:08 PM
I would not polish at all. Chances are you simply need a very thorough decontamination to remove the "film" from the surface.

I would recommend a very thorough wash with a product like CarPro Reset, consider using some APC like diluted power clean during the wash if you feel it is needed, then iron x, tar x (or tarminator), clay very well (check results with baggie test), then wash again to see if beading has returned.

stilltipping3
05-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Interesting thread! So u have to maintain the Opti-Coat? What is the best way to do this? How about if you wash your car regularly? Would that be enough?

zmcgovern45
05-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Interesting thread! So u have to maintain the Opti-Coat? What is the best way to do this? How about if you wash your car regularly? Would that be enough?

Of course you have to maintain it. A coating may make for easier maintenance, but it is definitely not maintenance free if you want it to perform for more than a year or so.

Routine washing is key, of course, but the paint should also be decontaminated once or twice a year using chemicals like IronX and TarX, and clayed if needed (per baggie test inspection). You can also use a product like HydrO2 or Reload to provide additional protection and maintain perfect hydrophobic properties.

octane
05-12-2014, 07:27 PM
carpro reset shampoo and carpro ironx would be what I would try before using a paint cleaner or light polish...

Kbreeze
05-12-2014, 08:25 PM
I would not polish at all. Chances are you simply need a very thorough decontamination to remove the "film" from the surface.

I would recommend a very thorough wash with a product like CarPro Reset, consider using some APC like diluted power clean during the wash if you feel it is needed, then iron x, tar x (or tarminator), clay very well (check results with baggie test), then wash again to see if beading has returned.

Thanks this sounds good, but I am a little confused. Are you saying I should use CarPro Reset AND an APC like Power Clean together in doing a thorough wash or can I use just one or the other. The Iron X I was thinking about because I liver near and cross over railroad tracks almost every time I drive. The Tar X I had not considered. I guess this just removes any road tar that might be on the car?

Bigbull2984
05-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Two of my cars have coatings, and when the beading seizes I know its time for a good wash. A traditional 2 bucket wash will take care of your issue. You can add a paint safe APC (i prefer BF apc) to the solution to give it more bite but not always needed.