PDA

View Full Version : Sap On Superbird

DP 08 GXP
05-12-2014, 01:06 PM
I have a customer who has an all original Plymouth Superbird. It has 14,000 miles on it and still has all the grease marks from the factory. He parked it in his building and the plywood above the car had sap come out of it and landed on the car. He wants me to detail his car for him but with the value this car has and the fact the sap is on the Superbird decal I am trying to find the safest way to remove the sap without damaging the decal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dogfather
05-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Scary stuff. You might want to park this thread in the Ask the Expert Featuring MP forum.

Romach
05-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Try spraying some wd-40 on the sap and let it soak for about 5 minutes then wipe off with a microfibre soaked with some wd-49 solution. I had a ford s-max in black to do for a parent in my sons school.

Had already tried stoners tarminator but was not penetrating the sap!!

It was a total mess inside and outside but 4 hours of hard work and it was spotless.

Washed it with dp exteme in a gilmour lance to life off the grit

Hand washed with PBw orange shampoo then dried it off

Used a small aerosol of wd40 to lift tar and sap off.

Polished it with bf gloss polish then topped it with bf black ice

Windows finished with invisible glass with rain repellant

Inside wiped down with California cleaner
Coated with PBW interior coating

Carpets cleaned with 303 and then coated with water repellant.

van185
05-13-2014, 11:16 AM
For this one I would try and post a picture and see what advise Mike can give you.

brondondolon
05-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Try spraying some wd-40 on the sap and let it soak for about 5 minutes then wipe off with a microfibre soaked with some wd-49 solution. I had a ford s-max in black to do for a parent in my sons school.

Had already tried stoners tarminator but was not penetrating the sap!!

It was a total mess inside and outside but 4 hours of hard work and it was spotless.

Washed it with dp exteme in a gilmour lance to life off the grit

Hand washed with PBw orange shampoo then dried it off

Used a small aerosol of wd40 to lift tar and sap off.

Polished it with bf gloss polish then topped it with bf black ice

Windows finished with invisible glass with rain repellant

Inside wiped down with California cleaner
Coated with PBW interior coating

Carpets cleaned with 303 and then coated with water repellant.

Although wd-40 would prob work pretty good in most cases I don't think I'd try it for this one. Reason being is the wd-40 could soak into the decal or paint causing the decal to lift or the paint to stain. My impression is this guy wants the car to still have the original dirt on it?

What you could do is very carefully and gently sand the sap by hand until there is only a little bit on the decal. Then using a q tip try cleaning it with vinegar. Just make sure that you don't let the vinegar drip or run on anything and take your time.

Best of luck. When you do it let us know what you did.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

dcjredline
05-13-2014, 12:17 PM
My approach would be VERY VERY VERY carefully use a plastic razor blade and then some WD40 on a Qtip for the rest. I doubt WD will ruin a stripe that fast.