PDA

View Full Version : Meg's NXT Tech Wax confusion

VF-x
07-23-2007, 01:24 AM
I admit I'm a noob, so I'm going to ask some pretty silly questions.

I'm pretty confused about this product. It's called a wax, but the product description on AG seems to indicate its a sealant. Is it or is it not a sealant?

I'm planning on polishing my car (Menzerna IP and Nano polish), and I'd like to protect the finish.

At the same time, I've been reading a lot of posts about its durability. I expect a sealant to last a long time, but posters seem to indicate the product wears away in a matter of weeks. What's is the true story on this product?

Thanks

klumzypinoy
07-23-2007, 01:35 AM
I have not used it, but here's what I know. NXT Tech Wax is a synthetic wax, also known as a sealant. It is man made, which is why it's synthetic. Durability, I have read that it doens't last that long. I haven't tried it for myself, so I can't say anything about how long it lasts. Hope this helps you :)

ScottB
07-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Megs NXT is a sythetic wax (a sealant) by design, you will see in marketing all types of products names used improperly to try and stand out on the shelves. NXT has widely been accepted as nice looking but no durability, and my testing mimics this. I have found the Professional version #21, has the same look, different smell, and slightly longer durability. You'll likely need to replace every 3 months in normal weather.

VF-x
07-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Thank you for the information.

I was wondering if it is recommended to put a layer of carnuba wax over the NXT, even through the NXT is supposed to look fantastic. I've got a choice of Meg's Gold Class or XMT 180 (thanks AG!).

Cheers

Bernard
07-23-2007, 11:15 AM
It's better to use XMT 180. Gold Class is not very durable. U might as well leave it as it is with Nxt if u wanna use GC.

Or u might wanna look into Collinite 476. It's a very durable carnauba wax. Cheers :)

Surfer
07-23-2007, 11:23 AM
If you want a durable good looking wax, Collinite 915. If you have Megs Gold Class and XMT 180, XMT 180 hands down.

LazerRed1
07-23-2007, 11:29 AM
You won't find many products that look better right after application than NXT. Not a long lasting product, however. BUT, how many of us wait that long between applications of LSP anyway. I know I don't, at least during good weather. I would use something longer lasting over the winter months if you are in an area where the weather is too bad to rewax.

TookayS2K
10-30-2008, 04:36 PM
BUMP for a year old thread! (and my first post)

anyway, I'm basically in the same boat. Except I now have NXT 2.0. and I'm using Menz IP and Menz P106FA.

Should I still need a sealant before applying NXT 2.0 (paste)?

Thanks

heatgain
10-30-2008, 04:57 PM
NXT 2.0 IS a sealant.
So the answer is.....no.

supercharged
10-30-2008, 07:40 PM
If you want a durable good looking wax, Collinite 915. If you have Megs Gold Class and XMT 180, XMT 180 hands down.
I used XMT 180 a couple of times, didn't find it all that special. It's better then Gold Class, which is junk, IMO, so hard to apply and remove after you get spoiled by Pinnacle waxes...

robb01
10-30-2008, 08:34 PM
NXT 2.0 is pretty good, doesn't last as long as some of the other though

akimel
10-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Thank you for the information.

I was wondering if it is recommended to put a layer of carnuba wax over the NXT, even through the NXT is supposed to look fantastic. I've got a choice of Meg's Gold Class or XMT 180 (thanks AG!).

You can certainly top NXT with either of those products. Try it and see if you like it. Among Meguiar's users, M26 is also a popular topper. But if you've never used NXT before, I'd first apply two layers of NXT and see what you think. NXT may not be the most durable sealant around (2 to 3 months, as suggested above, sounds about right), but it does look great.

I have two layers of NXT on my car right now. Tomorrow I am applying two layers of Collinite 845 in preparation for winter. I am hoping that will get me through February or March. We shall see.

Al

TookayS2K
10-31-2008, 02:24 AM
I read somewhere that you are suppose to put on a sealant THEN NXT for best results...???

Junebug
10-31-2008, 12:43 PM
NXT 2.0 aint bad, but 21 2.0 is better. I'm heard it stains trim, but I haven't experienced that - I always wipe off (immediately) any that gets on trim.

ScottB
10-31-2008, 07:55 PM
I read somewhere that you are suppose to put on a sealant THEN NXT for best results...???

The NXT product contains kalicified Kaolin which is a light cleaner/abrasive and will likely remove some/all of the other product. NXT should be used alone, although a pure carnauba topper can be added over it after curing for 12 hours.