PDA

View Full Version : Rupes Bigfoot - Pad Issues!!!!

PrismDetailing
05-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Wondering if anyone else has been having this issue...My rupes is going through pads like there is no tomorrow. Not destroying the foam/mf, but the velcro on the back of the pads that now i have 8 pads (Megs MF/Chemical Guys Hex/Rupes) will not stick to the backing plate....anyone else had this issue ?

Rob

Calendyr
05-11-2014, 07:47 PM
I had pads fly off the backing plate after using them for a while (Buff and Shine White pads).

Never had any not stick to it.

swanicyouth
05-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Your having Rupes pads fly off a Rupes machine with their BP?

EvolutionDetail
05-11-2014, 08:17 PM
My rupes yellow pad 6" is about to die too
The velcro around the edge is lifted off the foam. Itself

The Critic
05-12-2014, 01:41 AM
I have never had a pad problem with my 21, 75e or Duetto.

This is with Meguiars MF, B&S and Rupes pads.

Are you using a lot of pressure, or high speeds?

PrismDetailing
05-12-2014, 02:12 AM
Not using a lot of pressure, but using higher speeds, really feel like i need to, to achieve the cut im wanting

The Critic
05-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Not using a lot of pressure, but using higher speeds, really feel like i need to, to achieve the cut im wanting

If you are maintaining rotation and keeping your arm speeds very slow, you should not need high speeds. It may give you a slight improvement in cut, but I've found that you get a lot more haze and heat.

I rarely go above speed 4 and have not had any issues with cut.

Are you swapping your pads out periodically? They get hot and should be changed out. I put on a clean/new pad every few sections.

OGauge4Me
05-29-2014, 07:33 PM
I had one pad separate from the Velcro after detailing about 1/2 of my truck. Autogeek replaced the pad very quickly.

I will tell you that you can use the Bigfoot as a sander with great results. However the backing plate will be almost destroyed. I ordered another one on Sunday night. It will be here tomorrow. :o

Yesterday I used the Rupes to restore my niece's headlights on her 05 Camry. I used Menzerna Power Gloss and a beat up Rupes blue microfiber pad. :xyxthumbs:

Calendyr
05-29-2014, 09:23 PM
I did a compound yesterday on sanded paint 2000 grit scratches using a B&S Yellow pad and M105. Was using speed 4 and 4.5 and never had an issue. I don't know if the white pads have a problem or if it's really a matter of speed but for now I think speed 4.5 is safe.

I ordered some Lake Country CCS 5.5" pads and will receive them tomorrow. Hopefully those will be more compatible with the Rupes 21ES. One thing I forgot to mention, and that is important, is that I changed the backplate from 6 inch to 5 inch so that I can use 5.5 inch pads on the 21ES. So it's very possible that the reduced surface for the pad to grab onto the backplate make using high speed impossible with 21 mm throw. But that is just a theory.

DRT BRD
05-30-2014, 12:21 AM
If you are maintaining rotation and keeping your arm speeds very slow, you should not need high speeds. It may give you a slight improvement in cut, but I've found that you get a lot more haze and heat.

Are you swapping your pads out periodically? They get hot and should be changed out. I put on a clean/new pad every few sections.

Exactly this ^^.

I don't everrrr really go about 4 for correction. If you are working clean and changing pads often, the amount of cut from even D300 is insane. Work a smaller section or try to check the technique. This took me a while to grasp and once I did, boy am I flying. :props:

I've tried every damn pad on the market, and flat out...the Megs newer ones flat out rock. If I'm correcting. you can bet 98% of the time I'm using those. The higher grip of the Rupes BP does some crazy damage to the velcro but I only find that to be true after I've had a pad over 3 months in rotation with HARD work behind it.

HUMP DIESEL
05-30-2014, 06:30 AM

Plus one here.

HUMP:dblthumb2: