PDA

View Full Version : D155 Over Cquartz UK

Pages : [1] 2

BlackRam
05-11-2014, 06:43 PM
I just coated my truck (will post in Show and Shine when I have more than a few minutes).

My questions is after I wash my truck, can I use D155 quik detailer to make sure all the water spots are gone. I am not looking to top it or anything besides reload every few months, but I want to make sure the surface is free of everything, water spots, etc.

Thank you

andrewbmw
05-11-2014, 06:49 PM
I would not, reload is silica based just like the cquartz uk you applied. D155 has wax which might mess up the effect cquartz. Use d114 because it has no waxes in it. You can use it as a waterless wash at 1:56 ratio. Then every few months apply reload.

Just02896
05-11-2014, 06:59 PM
:iagree:

FUNX650
05-11-2014, 07:05 PM
How soon do you plan on washing your vehicle?

-On one hand you say you're not looking to "top" the Coating...Except for, on the other hand, every few months with Reload.

So:
-Since you surely believe that this Coating's characteristics are not going to be what you want as the grande finale-LSP...and, therefore: must be "topped"...
Then: Why not go ahead and also use D155 as a "topper", whenever you want? Or any other Wax/Sealant-QDs, for that matter?

Note:
I still say that there should be no
reason to have to "top" Coatings.

Bob

FUNX650
05-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Repeat of Post...OOPS!

Bob

BlackRam
05-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys. I only want to ensure all water spots r gone. Is there an appropriate quik detailer then?

Besides reload. I coated friday and want to wash come this saturday.

Just02896
05-11-2014, 07:50 PM

-On one hand you say you're not looking to "top" the Coating...Except for, on the other hand, every few months with Reload.

So:
-Since you surely believe that this Coating's characteristics are not going to be what you want as the grande finale-LSP...and, therefore: must be "topped"...
Then: Why not go ahead and also use D155 as a "topper", whenever you want? Or any other Wax/Sealant-QDs, for that matter?

Note:

Bob

So....A vehicles clear coat protects the paint, a coating protects the CC and the topper protects the coating. What's going to protect the topper? Lol! :-)

This subject reminds me of a vehicle that came in for a correction last year and the owner had plastic over his carpets, factory floor mats over the plastic, and then some ugly clear vinyl floor mats over that. It was ridiculous! Carpets were spotless beneath all that though!

swanicyouth
05-11-2014, 07:58 PM
I don't think you will have any issue with any QD once the coating is cured - which I believe happens within a week or so with CQ (I have never used this coating - so this is speculation).

The coating is supposed to be supper tough and resistant to harsh detergents and extremes in pH. It's supposed to repel dirt, resist etching, and provide increased scratch resistance.

So why would a QD "mess it up"?

I guess theoretically, it's possible for it to alter the water behavior slightly, maybe until the first rain washes of most of the QD remnants.

First hand, I can tell you nothing really seems to effect OptiCoat. No QD or spray wax. The beading isn't diminished - the coating isn't affected. Maybe something else like a wax could, but I wouldn't worry too much about a QD.

FUNX650
05-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys. I only want to ensure all water spots r gone. Is there an appropriate quik detailer then?

Besides reload. I coated friday and want to wash come this saturday.
-Unless you're washing/drying in direct Sunlight...(causing your vehicle's panels to be warmer than should be for these tasks)...
Why should there be any water spots,on a CQUK-Coating,
that needs some kind of a "topper" to remove them?

Maintenance washes...In the shade:
-Wash; rinse with spray nozzle; rinse without spray nozzle (sheeting-method); pat dry with waffle weave MF-towel;
Enjoy the ride!!

Just curious:
What did you want for an LSP:
The CQUK...or a Sealant?

Bob

andrewbmw
05-11-2014, 08:39 PM

So:

Note:

Bob

Because the waxes in the d155 can mess with the hydrophobic properties that cquartz has. Yes, you can wax it and it will be hydrophobic for a bit, but when that wears off there can be wax messing with the coating which will make it not hydrophobic anymore. I am not going to go into the details but it might mess with the coating. Ask Corey at carpro about it =)

From what I understand about reload is it does not really top the coating, but it adds to it. The silica in reloads adheres itself to the coating making it ever so slightly thicker and more durable. the coating themselves are 60-70% silica based and reload is 5%. So every time you apply it you are keeping up the coating, not really topping it =)

GreatAvalon
05-11-2014, 08:58 PM

So:
Note:

Bob
Bob - CQUK requires Reload. Its on the back of the CQUK bottle. If you apply CQUK and don't apply Reload after an hour, you are applying CQUK wrong. They are made to work together. IDK why - it just is what it is. Reload 1 hour after application, and every 3-4 months is required for CQUK.

andrewbmw
05-11-2014, 09:03 PM
:iagree::xyxthumbs::buffing:

Just02896
05-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Bob - CQUK requires Reload. Its on the back of the CQUK bottle. If you apply CQUK and don't apply Reload after an hour, you are applying CQUK wrong. They are made to work together. IDK why - it just is what it is. Reload 1 hour after application, and every 3-4 months is required for CQUK.

I don't believe that not applying reload after an hour is "wrong" in any way. In fact I never apply reload unless the vehicle will be subjected to moisture within the first 24 hours following the application of the coating. Perfect example, I had a vehicle that I CQUK'd last November (w/o reload) come in last week for a wash, decon, and coat of reload. After a wash, iron x soak, and light claying the CQUK was still completely intact and hydrophobic as ever. The coat of reload did it's thing to bring back the deep gloss and slick feel while reinforcing the coating.

GreatAvalon
05-11-2014, 09:47 PM
It's wrong because you aren't following the manufacturer's instructions. My 2014 CQUK says to apply reload after an hour of application. Just because you get away with not doing it doesn't mean its "right" either.

I don't think anybody on here would advise to disregard the manufacturers instructions. The instructions say to use Reload, so if you don't use Reload, you are absolutely doing it wrong according to the manufacturer. Who better to tell you than the manufacturer. Telling people they shouldn't use Reload goes directly against the manufacturer's recommendation. That isn't very helpful, and hopefully members know that and value manufacturer's recommendation and instructions over what someone on the internet said. No insult to you of course, as you are very knowledgeable. 100% if you have premature coating failure then there is nobody to blame except...well...:D

Just02896
05-11-2014, 09:54 PM
It's wrong because you aren't following the manufacturer's instructions. My 2014 CQUK says to apply reload after an hour of application. Just because you get away with not doing it doesn't mean its "right" :D

I don't think anybody on here would advise to disregard the manufacturers instructions. The instructions say to use Reload, so if you don't use Reload, you are doing it wrong according to the manufacturer. Who better to tell you than the manufacturer. Telling people they shouldn't use Reload goes directly against the manufacturer's recommendation. That isn't very helpful, and hopefully members know that and value manufacturer's recommendation and instructions over what someone on the internet said. No insult to you of course. 100% if you have premature coating failure then there is nobody to blame except...well...:D

I would be interested in seeing the life and overall performance of the coating with and without using Reload on it ever. Dang it Just, why didn't you Reload half and not the other half so we can compare?! :laughing: Even though it has only been 6 months so a longevity test wouldn't even start until the 2 year mark for CQUK.

I have other CQ'd vehicles coming back in the next few weeks, some with reload and some without. I'm quite curious to see if the ones with reload have any less contaminants than the ones without .