PDA

View Full Version : first attempt at detail... did NOT go well

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

NsnRogue2014
05-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Okay decided I have had my GG 6" for a few weeks and I wanted to try it out see what I could get done... let's just say it did NOT go well! I'll list my tools used. GG 6" DA, 5" backing plate, 5.5" Chemical guys microfiber orange pad, and V36 polish. I did all the prep work, washed clayed, did slow passes over lapping, primed the pad, waited till the polish flashed and became clear. Results? None, no correction, not a single scratch removed nothing, I couldn't believe it. I used speed 6 for the polish it was Def rotating, speed 1 to spread... well after I did my hood I gave up, used V7 on the car packed up and went inside. What's odd is when I pulled the pad off the backing plate, the very center had actually melted away and there was about a 1" hole in the center of the pad, backing plate is fine no damage.... so what gives? Where did I go wrong? Is is the tools, my technique, the car, I just can't believe after all that there was zero change and I destroyed a pad

hernandez.art13
05-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Post pictures to see the year/make/model and color of the car. If the backing plate was burning up it might be an indicator that to much pressure was applied. (to aggressive)

Setec Astronomy
05-10-2014, 09:41 PM
What kind of car, what color, how deep are the scratches you are trying to remove? Are we talking wash-induced spiderweb swirls, or scratches that you can catch a fingernail in?

Bates Detailing
05-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Im guessing Corvette lol :buffing:Im the MAN:buffing:

allenk4
05-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Okay decided I have had my GG 6" for a few weeks and I wanted to try it out see what I could get done... let's just say it did NOT go well! I'll list my tools used. GG 6" DA, 5" backing plate, 5.5" Chemical guys microfiber orange pad, and V36 polish. I did all the prep work, washed clayed, did slow passes over lapping, primed the pad, waited till the polish flashed and became clear. Results? None, no correction, not a single scratch removed nothing, I couldn't believe it. I used speed 6 for the polish it was Def rotating, speed 1 to spread... well after I did my hood I gave up, used V7 on the car packed up and went inside. What's odd is when I pulled the pad off the backing plate, the very center had actually melted away and there was about a 1" hole in the center of the pad, backing plate is fine no damage.... so what gives? Where did I go wrong? Is is the tools, my technique, the car, I just can't believe after all that there was zero change and I destroyed a pad

It is not the tools or the car...

In the "Detailing How-To's" (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html) section there are a lot of great tips that will help you form a solid foundation for your future polishing (http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html) efforts.

Setec Astronomy
05-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Im guessing Corvette lol

:laughing:

NsnRogue2014
05-10-2014, 09:49 PM
It's a 2014 nissan rogue, black, just the small typical new car swirl marks that the dealer has kindly installed. Paint is good, only 3500 miles on the car.

Bates Detailing
05-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Hmmmm...... maybe self healing paint? A nice new enigma to the detailing industry?!?!??!

GenesisCoupe
05-10-2014, 09:55 PM
A lot of questions need to be answered. Maybe your location would help and a fellow AG member can help you out?

Microfiber orange pad from Chemical Guys? I rarely use Microfiber pads, most of my work gets done well with a flat foam Lake Country Orange pad, followed by a white polishing pad.

Because you burned though the bad i think your pressure was too much. The GG should have gotten most of the defects out. Post pics when you can.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
05-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Pics and location. I'm sure someone near you is willing to help out.

Setec Astronomy
05-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Microfiber orange pad from Chemical Guys?

I glossed right over that it was a MF pad. Perhaps the pad didn't get primed properly and just overheated without really cutting anything, or got matted down and therefore didn't cut.

GenesisCoupe
05-10-2014, 10:07 PM
^^open cell or closed cell right?

NsnRogue2014
05-10-2014, 10:08 PM
I glossed right over that it was a MF pad. Perhaps the pad didn't get primed properly and just overheated without really cutting anything, or got matted down and therefore didn't cut.

I added some good sized drops to it to prime, sprayed with detail spray, also cleaned with brush after each section to re fluff the microfiber.

GenesisCoupe
05-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I think it might be your technique. It sounds like your prep was fine

Kacz
05-10-2014, 10:17 PM
I saw you posted in the Chicagoland detail thread. Next weekend you will gain a TON of information and valuable critiquing from members here.

Maybe just wait until then so you don't get discouraged. I'm going to try and make it myself, but not sure if I'll be in town or not.