PDA

View Full Version : Identifying leather coating

Burns ST
05-10-2014, 06:53 PM
How can I identify what type of leather I have in my '13 Focus ST? I have the full leather recaro seats. I cant tell if its coated leather or not. Ive used Chemical Guys leather cleaner with good results but I find their leather conditioner rubs off into clothing.
Any idea what type of conditioner is best used on this type of leather? I also need a way of cleaning the white stitching and ST embroidery.

FUNX650
05-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Don't use "conditioners" on any type of leather cabin appointments!

Get this:
Leather Master Car Leather Protection & Cleaner Kit, Leather Master Ink Away Ink Remover, ink lifter, leather cleaner, leather protection (http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-kit-ink-away.html)

Bob

RTexasF
05-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Take one drop of water and drop it on the seat. If it runs you use products for plastic on your leather (plastic encapsulated). If it is absorbed you use products strictly for leather. Choose your poison from your finding.

Coopers ST
05-10-2014, 08:16 PM
I have a 2013 Focus ST also, they are coated.

Burns ST
05-10-2014, 08:21 PM
I have a 2013 Focus ST also, they are coated.

I had a hunch on being coated. What do you use for cleaning and protection?

Coopers ST
05-10-2014, 09:15 PM
I have some Lexol 3 in 1 spray, not sure if I have used it though it was one of those too good a deal to pass up. I also have some Lexol spay conditioner and spray cleaner, I have used them, not sure if they really do any good though. I have found to spray them into a microfiber and wipe down the seat, and leave it in the sun for a hour or so, then wipe it down again helps. I also have some Lexol cream conditioner and cleaner. I apply that with a applicator that was included in the kit, again too good a deal to pass up. I like it much better than the spray, I feel I can work it in though I am sure it isn't much better. I also have a sample of Pinnicle leather conditioner I got with a order here, I used it yesterday for the first time. WOW is all I can say. The seats actually felt softer today. I am really not sure what to use on them, if you are at focusst.org go to the detailing section 'The Ryan' posted a thread today about the surf city garage professional line, the leather cockpit cream he used on his seats made them look fantastic. I am really not sure what to use when my current stuff is all gone. I think the owners manual calls for light soap and water.

FUNX650
05-10-2014, 09:42 PM
I had a hunch on being coated. What do you use for cleaning and protection?
Yes...protection...Thank you! :xyxthumbs:

Here's some more:
"drop-of-water-test...for...type-of-leather" info:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/77981-coated-non-coated-leather.html

Bob

Coopers ST
05-11-2014, 03:17 PM
I sent a message to meguiars to see what they had or recommended. They said clean per manufactures recommendations or use quick interior detailer, and to protect use natural protectant. I haven't tried yet, but that is what they said

Lakeside Detail
05-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Coated leather I have been getting great results with OPC at 3:1

Burns ST
05-11-2014, 11:11 PM
I thought about trying GTechniq L1 leather guard. Seems like they position the product as a protector for the coating, not a conditioner for the hide. Although I'm unable to find any posts about anybody using it. I'm pretty happy with the results of CG leather cleaner and a boar hair brush.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk