PDA

View Full Version : PC Advice

sae1965
07-22-2007, 08:19 PM
The advice I got here was pretty good last time, so I thought I would pick some brains again!

I got my two AG orders. I put on the correct 5" pad on my PC (they had a 6" pad with a 5" counter-weight). I ordered XMT #3 and #1. I got Klasse All In One and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze for finishing. I used the XMT #3 with orange pads, and the XMT #1 with white pads. I got 99% of the scratches out of my Mach 1, just the deep ones you can feel with a fingernail remain (I am hoping the glaze will help hide the remaining ones). I am using micro-fiber towels to buff the compunds/sealants off, and polising with a micro-fiber bonnet and wool leveling pad; I am doing small hard to reach areas by hand.

Now the problems/questions. When using the micro-fiber bonnets, they don't want to spin, unless I set the PC on setting #6, do I need to use the 6" backing plate when using bonnets? I got the best "polish" from the XMT #1 with the PC set on #6, but I think this is too high? The Klasse seems to be easier to apply by hand, the PC seems to dry it when putting it on (I was at #3 and using a 6.5" blue LC pad)? Any tips for the hard to reach areas, like tail light panel where I cannot use the PC? I was thinking three coats of glaze, is that too many or should I do more? Is there a better/faster way to take the sealant'glaze off or put it on?

The car is looking VERY good, the best in at least a couple years; it should look fantastic for the cruise-in I am going to next weekend. I have to seal one door and quarter panel yet, then do the tailight panel and the headlight buckets. After that, I can start putting on the glaze. Thank you to everyone for their help!

Scott

D
07-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I dont like using the bonnets to remove stuff, just remove by hand with MF. 2 coats of the sealant will be fine, just make sure you're factoring in cure time.

sae1965
07-23-2007, 07:59 AM
I dont like using the bonnets to remove stuff, just remove by hand with MF. 2 coats of the sealant will be fine, just make sure you're factoring in cure time.

I am not really removing by machine, I have been buffing it off by hand, then going back with the bonnets to remove anything left and polish. I had surgery on my right arm less than two months ago, so for now, this is the best method for me. Normally, with two good arms, I would just buff it twice by hand, then maybe a final polish with the bonnets is all. The car has so much trim and nooks and crannies, you have to do much of it by hand anyhow. I just wish the machine would spread the AIO and glaze better, it would save me a lot of time! :)

Scott