PDA

View Full Version : Do you need aggressive abrasives to remove holograms.

flugufrelsarinn
05-09-2014, 07:09 PM
My car has some light holograms that can only be seen under direct light, regardless I would like to get rid of them. Do holograms usually require compounding to remove or could I get away with something light like 4500 or D151?

Products I have are from most to least abrasive are 2500, 4500, D151, SRP, CG BL, WG Glaze 3.0

I have every color LC pad for a PC.

RDZL1
05-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Without a picture or visual inspection I would say do a Test Spot with with a least abrasive polish.
Usually, polish would do the trick.

blkSRT
05-09-2014, 07:15 PM
I would guess that depends on how hard the paint is. As always start with the least aggressive first.

swanicyouth
05-09-2014, 07:26 PM
If they are truly rotary induced holograms, they are easily removed. As, those "defects" are relatively shallow. That is why you kind of have to look at them cock-eyed in the sun to see them.

However, if they are "swirls" and not holograms - it's very difficult to say exactly what it will take to remove them without a little more info.

flugufrelsarinn
05-09-2014, 07:29 PM
If they are truly rotary induced holograms, they are easily removed. As, those "defects" are relatively shallow. That is why you kind of have to look at them cock-eyed in the sun to see them.

However, if they are "swirls" and not holograms - it's very difficult to say exactly what it will take to remove them without a little more info.

I am positive that they are rotary induced holograms. Only at certain angles in the right light do you see them, and they sweep across the whole panel.

swanicyouth
05-09-2014, 07:34 PM
I am positive that they are rotary induced holograms. Only at certain angles in the right light do you see them, and they sweep across the whole panel.

Should be fairly easy to remove then with a polish and polishing pad.

Tato
05-09-2014, 11:23 PM
When I deal with Holograms, I 'tend to approach' them as unfinished compounding work* with a rotary and a wool pad.

That said, my first try is a finishing step on a DA (like whoever instilled the holograms should have done).

If the paint is soft, you can start with finishing pad and WG Glaze 3.0 which is in fact a finishing polish.

Not so soft paint, use the same product on white polishing pad.

However, if you have more than just holograms, a finishing step may be not enough.

Hard to opine without any pictures.

*No generalization, This is just one point.

Kind Regards.

Rsurfer
05-10-2014, 12:27 AM
[QUOTE=flugufrelsarinn;1099052]Do holograms usually require compounding to remove

That is what caused it in the first place. There are very few that can use a compound with a rotary and be hologram free.

The Critic
05-11-2014, 09:19 PM
It depends. Usually, holograms and buffer trails are accompanied by wool pad marks. The holograms and buffer trails may come out easily, but the wool pad marks can be difficult to remove.