PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay cleaning & detailing

cheekyage
05-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Hi all,

My car has returned from the body shop and whilst they left the hood open it has resulted in the engine bay covered in white dust!

Can anyone please pass on any advice on the best way to clean this and making it gleaming clean like it once was?

I'm a little worried of attacking it with my high pressure washer as this would be the easiest way, unless I cover the electrical parts?

Maybe it's easier than I thought?

Any recommendations of cleaning methods and products would be much appreciated :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VISITOR
05-09-2014, 04:48 PM
if you're worried about exposing any sensitive areas (alternator, etc.) to water, then cover those areas with some tin foil. if it isn't too bad, just use some APC and mf towel and wipe it down. otherwise use some APC, brushes, and a light flow of water to clean. you can use a leaf blower to dry (hold it a little further at first until you feel comfortable bringing it closer) and wipe down any missed areas with a mf towel. then dress (optional) the engine bay if so desired...

vandau
05-09-2014, 05:26 PM
I did my engine for the very first time a couple of days ago. Everything came through fine in the end. But I was very careful as a beginner. Here's what I can pass on to you. Don't use any APC or degreaser. Make sure any cleaner you use is safe on aluminum. I recommend Optimum Power Clean since it's safe on paint, and there will likely be exposure to your car's exterior. Aside from aluminum, you want to be careful with any electrical components.

Here's the way I did it. I disconnected the car battery, wrapped my alternator and any exposed electrical connectors with plastic bags. Basically anything that was electrical and exposed, I protected. I also removed my serpentine belt since it was readily exposed. Many people leave the belts on; I was just being cautious, and I only had one belt to deal with. After the prep work, I liberally sprayed on the cleaner, then used a wheel brush and small detailing brush for agitation. I only used a garden hose with low pressure to prevent any accidental damage with high pressure. After hosing down, I dried with a leaf blower, removed the plastic covers, and dressed. After all this, I feel more confident in doing the engine again.

Gokite
05-09-2014, 07:39 PM
if you're worried about exposing any sensitive areas (alternator, etc.) to water, then cover those areas with some tin foil...

Put saran wrap/plastic wrap over it first so the plastic wrap is between the alternator and the foil.

VISITOR
05-10-2014, 01:09 AM
Put saran wrap/plastic wrap over it first so the plastic wrap is between the alternator and the foil.

i've never had a problem doing it they way i've been doing it for many years, most of the time i don't cover anything up and use the pressure washer with no problems at all... :xyxthumbs:

MrOneEyedBoh
05-10-2014, 06:02 AM
Yeah I think the cover up days are over... I'm guessing it was for when electronics were sensitive to water etc. Now days I don't see an issue, unless you blast high power water directly into the engine