PDA

View Full Version : Repaint of my '04 v6 Mustang

Sk808
05-09-2014, 04:14 PM
I don't even know where to begin.

Well, to introduce myself, My name is Brandon and i'm from Mililani,Hawaii (Island of Oahu), i'm 16 and bought this Mustang with all my hard earned money from the Golden Arches, lol.

The story of why I wanted to have the 'Stang painted "British Racing Green" is kind of an interesting one. One day, in my freshman year of high school, I was walking home and seen a dark-green Jaguar 4.2xkr parked on the side of the street. I thought to my self "eh, no big deal, it's just a typical green" *side note, it was cloudy when I was still at a distance from the car. But when I got closer to it, the sun peaked out through the clouds and when the light hit the metallic, I instantly fell in love with the paint :drool: And I told my self that when I do get my own car, i'm gonna paint it that color

And now to the best part!
(I apologize in advance, all these pictures are from my iPhone 4, so quality isn't the best)

So this is how the car started off when I first bought it, solid white. Paint was in pretty good shape except for the hard waterspots.

First day of wetsanding. Trying to knock off the clear coat with 400 grit all around.

As you can see, a days worth of work, we already got most of the hood and some other body panels nearly, if not, completely dull.

Door is almost done, except for a few spots I missed near the edges.

Applied some body filler/spot putty on the areas where I had deep rock chips

Applied some bondo on the hood (can't really tell because the color blends in with the car) and primed a few spots where we did some body work on

Again, you can see more primed areas where we had some body work done

Surprise from the UPS dude! My Mach1 lip came in the mail! Im the MAN

Started to wetsand the primed areas (you still see the guide coat on the corner of the bumper)

Last picture of the car complete, tomorrow will be the day it goes down in the paint booth :D

Gave the pony one last scrub-down before it rolls into the paint booth and comes out a whole new car

Drove the car into the paint booth, I seriously had chills going down my spine while pulling into here.

Took the wheels off, put it up on stands and we now begin the taping process (Now let me tell you: taping is a lot harder than it looks for a first timer, my instructor had to correct me a few times on my tape job) :doh:

Final inspection on the car and we realized we messed up on the rear quarter panel, so we had to lay down a little more spot putty to fix it. Things got pushed back so we could let this dry, sand it, and prime it again.

First coat of paint has finally been laid down! My heart felt like it could've just leaped out of my chest, lol.

Upon further inspection after the "tack coat" of paint was laid down, we found that some spots on the front bumper were all wrinkled and just funky looking. My instructor said that it was probably due to not scrubbing/sanding good enough in those areas... So, we had to feather edge those out and respray it again.

Sk808
05-09-2014, 04:40 PM
We also lightly wet sanded the entire car to scuff up the paint for better adhesive for the next (and final) coat.

Another thing we did we add the Napa 4003 stone guard on the lower sections of my fenders and quarter panels, and my side skirts. A lot of people think they look hideous due to their wrinkled look (it almost looks like it's a defect in the paint) but my instructor lives and swears by this thing, which kind of grew on me over time.

And here you can see the spots that we had to sand/feather edge out.

Same with the gas cover, there was a big drip on there so we just feather-edged it out as well

Random picture of the sidescoops

Couldn't finish everything. So we shut the shop down and planned to start back up first thing in the morning

Morning came and we laid down the final coat of paint and covered up the troublesome spots! The ball is rolling and it's rolling fast

Clear has finally been laid down :righton: you can kind of see the metallic where the light reflects

We let it dry over the weekend and started assembling it Monday morning!

That following day, I drove down to my local auto repair shop to get the "Safety Inspection" sticker that Hawaii state law requires on all motor vehicles

I love how this paint looks different in all types of lighting. In the shade, it looks near black, but in the sun the metallic gives off a nice bright green glow

And here's a shot of that orange peel (yuk)

Random shot at the grocery store. Beading is kinda cool but I wish the water sheeted instead.

And a shot of the paint info/can

Again, I apologize about the poor quality of the pictures.
But I promise to have much more HD pictures in the near future (gonna borrow my friends DSLR)
Hope you enjoyed it so far!

blkSRT
05-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Looks nice! You should be proud.

jamesboyy
05-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Welcome to autogeek, Very nice paint job on that mustang you should be proud, I remember those days of wanting/getting a green car for first car, congratulations

DetailKitty
05-13-2014, 08:18 AM
A BRG Mustang... Nice!

BRG is the best color... just saying' Im the MAN