PDA

View Full Version : OEM Touch up Paint Vs After Market

Pages : [1] 2

goldenlight
05-09-2014, 11:16 AM
I just want to feel some paint chips in. I'm currently leading towards OEM. So I know I have the correct color.Feed back please

The other paint brand I am considering for touching up is dupli-color touch up paint pen.

I also notice they sell a clear coat touch up pen.

GreatAvalon
05-09-2014, 11:22 AM
I always just get touch up paint from the dealer.

goldenlight
05-09-2014, 12:38 PM
OK ordering OEM PAInt. If project comes out great will post pics. If not no pics will be posted :xyxthumbs:

Kamakaz1961
05-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Get the OEM Paint....PERIOD!!!! Please post pics of your paint chip repair and let us know how you did it.

Again, that is with OEM Paint!!!!

Flash Gordon
05-09-2014, 12:48 PM
OK ordering OEM PAInt. If project comes out great will post pics. If not no pics will be posted :xyxthumbs:

Just do like everyone else does. Take a close-up shot of the defect before, then afterwards stand 20' away with no Sun

:Picture:

FUNX650
05-09-2014, 12:57 PM
I just want to feel some paint chips in. I'm currently leading towards OEM. So I know I have the correct color.Feed back please

The other paint brand I am considering for touching up is dupli-color touch up paint pen.

I also notice they sell a clear coat touch up pen.
I would rather not use the "pens" myself.

However:
Will you be able to find out the actual OEM-paint supplier of your vehicle's paints when they were sprayed at the factory?

If not, then:
Which of the aftermarket paint suppliers---perhaps even the OEM is one of them(?)---that will be able to perfectly match your OEM paint on the day it was sprayed...do you plan on using?

Bob

spiralout462
05-09-2014, 02:05 PM
I have never been successful with the touch up pen. In the past I have had luck building up thin layers with a toothpick and OEM paint. After it's cured buff it down and admire the results!

Coopers ST
05-09-2014, 03:56 PM
I bought some touchup paint from my local Ford dealer for my FoST. Got the correct paint code, but it isn't the same color. Ford has two current colors with the same code, Spirit Blue, and Performance Blue. After I used mine and noticed it wasn't exactly the same, I got Spirit Blue in my tube. Not sure the real difference, but it isn't really that close. When you get a bottle of Tangerine Scream you get the color, but to actually get it to look right takes a 3 step process, if you don't lay down all 3 colors the chip looks better.

GreatAvalon
05-09-2014, 05:58 PM
anything looks better than a chip though...as long as you don't splotch the touch up paint well outside the chip.

Electro
05-10-2014, 09:42 AM
anything looks better than a chip though...as long as you don't splotch the touch up paint well outside the chip.

To prevent this, take some car wax and place spread it over the affected area, but don't buff off. Take a q-tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol and swab out only the area to be painted. Fill in your paint, and if any gets over the edges, it will be easily wiped off as it will sit on top of the wax.

goldenlight
05-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Surprise no one caught my grammar mistake. I meant to say "fill paint chips" not "Feel paint chips." :doh:

Plan on Volunteering my services to friends and family using the Langka Blob Eliminator. I hear metallic paints are the hardest to touch up.

Dogfather
05-10-2014, 12:32 PM
With a little practice the blob eliminator works ok. You just have to know when to stop. I have better luck with it by applying a second blob after the first one has dried and shrunk completely. Since my car is white the repairs are difficult notice. Darker colors might not be so forgiving.

GreatAvalon
05-10-2014, 02:53 PM
To prevent this, take some car wax and place spread it over the affected area, but don't buff off. Take a q-tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol and swab out only the area to be painted. Fill in your paint, and if any gets over the edges, it will be easily wiped off as it will sit on top of the wax.
Nice! That's awesome! I have a major chip I need to touch up before my coating so i'll definitely do that! Thanks :xyxthumbs:

Flash Gordon
05-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Surprise no one caught my grammar mistake. I meant to say "fill paint chips" not "Feel paint chips." :doh:

Plan on Volunteering my services to friends and family using the Langka Blob Eliminator. I hear metallic paints are the hardest to touch up.

I fill your pain. Their has to be a better way. It makes me loose my mind when I spell something wrong

Pearl metallics are the hardest to match up

Electro
05-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Nice! That's awesome! I have a major chip I need to touch up before my coating so i'll definitely do that! Thanks :xyxthumbs:

Can't take credit for the idea. I learned it from one of Larry's (AmmoNYC) videos.