PDA

View Full Version : Jewelling with less than the weight of the rotary buffer

Mike Phillips
05-09-2014, 06:30 AM
Jewelling with less than the weight of the rotary buffer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/80271-jewelling-less-than-weight-rotary-buffer.html)

When jewelling paint using a rotary buffer the idea is to start out with a little firm pressure to work out any fine, remaining defects and then reduce the downward pressure so the pad is just gliding over the paint with just enough pressure to keep the face of the pad in perfect contour contact with the panel being jewelled.

Use the low speeds for the last few passes.
Use a slow arm speed for the last few passes.
Hold the pad as flat to the surface as humanly possible.

This pictures shows using a little bit less than the weight of the machine for the last few passes for this section.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2287/1990_Corvette_Autogeek_Mike_Phillips_061.jpg

After a soft pad like a jewelling pad breaks-in, that is becomes wet with wax or polish from continued use working around the body panels of a car, the weight of the machine will compress the foam. If you've done this before you know what I mean.

At this point, it's a good idea to switch to a clean, dry jewelling pad as the pad looses it's ability to offer expansion. When the ability for the foam to expand is reduced you loose the ability to reduce the downward pressure or reduce the weight of the machine.

So if you're going to jewel paint with a rotary buffer try to have at least a half dozen soft, gold jewelling pads on hand so you can switch out to a new pad as you work around the car.

:)

van185
05-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Can you clean the pad as you go or is it best to just change pads?

Mike Phillips
05-12-2014, 06:57 AM
Can you clean the pad as you go or is it best to just change pads?

You really need to switch to a dry pad because the foam of a wet pad will simply compress.

:)

van185
05-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Thanks. I guess I'll have to order a few more pads.

Mike Phillips
05-13-2014, 07:23 AM
Thanks. I guess I'll have to order a few more pads.

Like I always say....

More pads are better....

I've seen a lot of people talk about "jewelling paint" on forums but for some reason I never see anyone sharing the nitty gritty details on how they do it.

:dunno: