PDA

View Full Version : Protecting yourself -physically

Pages : [1] 2 3

AeroCleanse
05-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Ok, after I detailed a minivan, the next day I got a sore throat and today I was sick with what I think was crap from the minivan in it (if you know what I mean).

So does anyone use respiratory protection when detailing?

KillaCam
05-08-2014, 11:39 PM
I had something similar happen once. I steamed and extracted a really nasty Tahoe and the next morning had a stomach bug. Not sure if it was from that but it could've been because that's all I did all day.
I didn't have respiratory protection on either.

808_detail_nut
05-09-2014, 01:16 AM
PPEs guys, it's always good practice to use gloves, safety goggles and a mask(even though I don't always use one and I should). Never know what is coming off what you are cleaning. Also it's good to protect yourself from the chemicals that you are using. Can't make money if you get sick and can't work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

FUNX650
05-09-2014, 05:07 AM
PPEs guys, it's always good practice to use gloves, safety goggles and a mask(even though I don't always use one and I should). Never know what is coming off what you are cleaning. Also it's good to protect yourself from the chemicals that you are using. Can't make money if you get sick and can't work.

^^^
The Truth, The Whole Truth, and:
Nothing But The Truth!! :props:

Bob

VP Mark
05-09-2014, 06:23 AM
You will hardly see me doing anything on a detail without nitrile gloves on. A respirator on really nasty interiors.

Great advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

Setec Astronomy
05-09-2014, 06:27 AM
One of the best quotes from Renny Doyle (about wearing gloves): "If it's on you, it's in you". Unfortunately we sometimes forget about eye, respiratory, and hearing protection.

Another thing to remember is that as we get older we usually get more susceptible to allergies and allergic reactions, even to things we weren't sensitive to before.

zmcgovern45
05-09-2014, 07:33 AM
My hands have taken a real beating over the last couple of years... I wear gloves for EVERYTHING now.

I also wear a respirator when dealing with coatings or other more dangerous chemicals. I don't do much interior work, but I can imagine there are many instances where it would be a good idea to have one.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/1794637_357295517741907_564328523_n.jpg
^Selfie taken in the reflection of a vehicle prior to applying CQFinest Im the MAN

GenesisCoupe
05-09-2014, 07:34 AM
I should wear gloves more often. I never wear anything over my mouth but i should, especially when working with APC or other harsh chemicals.

About a year ago i did paint correction using m105/m205 without gloves. The customer bought myself and him PotBelly's and i went to go eat it without thinking. I got really sick that night cause the chemicals on my hands got on the bread.. the sandwich was finger licking good!!...which caused the problem.

Just02896
05-09-2014, 07:53 AM
I'm guilty as well for forgetting to wear gloves at times. I actually caught a head cold a few weeks back after a detail. Can't say for sure whether or not they were related but have at least been wearing gloves consistently since then. It's tough to wear all that gear when the weather heats up though!

VP Mark
05-09-2014, 08:14 AM
Folks this is actually a really important topic. Most tar/adhesive removers actually contain small amounts of Benzene which is a known carcinogen!

If you aren't wearing when while washing, waxing, and vacuuming, at least wear gloves when using strong detergents and cleaners.

If they tell you not to eat it, not to breathe it, then you probably shouldn't touch it!

AeroCleanse
05-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Already doing the gloves.

Dust mask or surgical mask?

zmcgovern45
05-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Already doing the gloves.

Dust mask or surgical mask?

Dust mask is not a bad idea to protect from sanding/compounding dust, but a respirator should be worn when dealing with hazardous chemicals.

AeroCleanse
05-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Dust mask is not a bad idea to protect from sanding/compounding dust, but a respirator should be worn when dealing with hazardous chemicals.

Not dealing with hazardous chemicals, rather just the dirt embedded in the interior.

KillaCam
05-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Folks this is actually a really important topic. Most tar/adhesive removers actually contain small amounts of Benzene which is a known carcinogen!

If you aren't wearing when while washing, waxing, and vacuuming, at least wear gloves when using strong detergents and cleaners.

If they tell you not to eat it, not to breathe it, then you probably shouldn't touch it!

You would be surprised what all contains benzene. Just don't sit there and breathe in all the tar remover and I think you'll be ok.
Being around someone who is smoking is probably far worse for you than using a tar remover.

fmahmad88
05-10-2014, 07:31 PM
I am thinking about investing in Bane's Mask..

"No one cared I was a Detailer until I put on the mask"